Pyramid snail battle begins

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips for battling these nasty clam eaters? Me and my wife just removed all the astrea snails due to them being covered in pyramids. The little maxima has succumbed to them and I believe our large squamosa is being eaten too. We just bought a blue squamosa so perfect timing. We've had our large squamosa about 5 years now so any advice is appreciated. Other than manual removal every night maybe a yellow coris to aid in the battle? There's a lot of colonista snails too and it seems like the pyramids like them as well.

jmp21677

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost three clams in a few days. Wrasse is supposed to help. I removed all snails and scrubbed the clams with a toothbrush every night. Good luck!

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember Wrasses are diurnal and Pyramids mostly nocturnal. I have tried that approach with little pay back.
Pyramids are difficult to eradicate, manual removal, removal of larger snails as they are parasitic to snails as well, clams up on pedestals and again manual removal. With an expansive clam collection or if able clams to a separate tank for monitoring and removal of Pyramids.
Good luck in your battle, and let us know how you win the war.

OP
OP
D

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point getting a wrasse would just aid in the battle (plus we love them) and we'll take all the help we can get. Lol. My wife has an eagle eye so every night we will be scrubbing. The large squamosa is so big now that I can't prop him up but the blue squamosa I believe we can. The timing really sucks but that's reefing. The pyramids are feeding on colonistas too and there's a bunch of them. Not sure where they came from but we were shocked to see how many pyramids were covering the astrea snails.

OP
OP
D

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if a freshwater dip is necessary for our big squamosa? His incurrent siphon is gaping and he's repeatedly closing more often. Can't see any snails on him but I'm curious if there inside? So far we lost the maxima but the blue squamosa is showing no signs of stress. Vote for freshwater dipping the big squamosa?

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only fw dip as a last resort. Lots of stress on the clam. Are you flipping the clams over checking the byssal opening. And all the sclutes(spelling?) on the shell? I as well am fighting this battle. down to only seeing one here and there but I still check everyday. Haven't seen eggs in awhile. With perserverence u will prevail! Good luck.

OP
OP
D

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are looking everyday and my wife does at night. Scrubbing with a tooth brush as well. The pyramids are visible in the schutes, we're just worried about them being inside the clam. We've had great success with clams but this is by far the biggest outbreak of pyramids I've seen. Thanks everyone for the advice, we will be patient and diligent. It will be heartbreaking to loose our big clam, he's been with us since the beginning.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only fw dip as a last resort. Lots of stress on the clam. Are you flipping the clams over checking the byssal opening. And all the sclutes(spelling?) on the shell? I as well am fighting this battle. down to only seeing one here and there but I still check everyday. Haven't seen eggs in awhile. With perserverence u will prevail! Good luck.
I will be checking the clam every night and during the day when our daughter is taking her nap. If I see one, even if it's on the colonistas I just take both out. We made the decision to hold off for awhile on the freshwater dip until we see if we can try to get it under control manually. We are also going to get a wrasse. We wanted to get another anyway so if it helps it's a bonus. Thanks

Duraticate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These pest had plagued my tank for months. I would daily remove them from my astera snails. I believe they are also the cause of death to my fighting conches there for a bit. Tiny nasty little buggers. I did try a clam once after i stopped seeing them on my other snails but never checked the clam. I lost the clam to other things i would say. I believe them pests are gone now. I had a heater failure for a couple months not knowing it and the tank sat at around 87. I dont know if this helps anyone. What little researxh i did my choice to combat them was going to be a green wrasse. Best of luck. Maybe here soon i will try another clam

OP
OP
D

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large squamosa is definitely stressed, his incurrent siphon is never open this much
20170728_095450.jpg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just b the pic but appears the inhalent siphon is higher than the exhalent. Should b the other way around with water flow going up and over the mantle. That could stress him out. Are u still finding heavy snail presence?

OP
OP
D

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clam positions himself that way. For the last 3 years to be exact. After we removed all the astrea snails there is definitely a lot less. There still there though so we're keeping a close eye for sure.

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just b the pic but appears the inhalent siphon is higher than the exhalent. Should b the other way around with water flow going up and over the mantle. That could stress him out. Are u still finding heavy snail presence?
we haven't seen a lot of snails. But it doesn't mean they aren't there. We keep removing them. Hopefully not to late for our big squamosa. Thanks

OP
OP
D

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe were winning the battle against pyramid snails but the big squamosa died. A real bummer, that was my first clam since entering the hobby. Grew him from just 3". So far the blue squamosa is doing good, we look constantly and after the lights go out for pyramids. Tank looks so empty without that big guy.
20170703_191529.jpg
20170731_195726.jpg

bsagea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss! Been there and I know it's difficult. If you should get a clam, and there is a clear slimy gob of stuff - don't know any other way to describe it - on the bottom towards the bysal or anywhere on the shell inside or out, take a paper towel, toothbrush or cloth and wipe the gob away. They are pyramidal snail eggs! The damage something that small can do is incredible and sad.
bsa

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-02/nftt/index.php

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you bsagea. I found a slimy gob on the blue squamosa so I scrubbed him down. We're keeping a real close eye. The big squamosa was definitely a big loss and I appreciate the advice and kind words.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the squammy guys he was beautiful! Best of luck for the little guy.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back