Pyramid snails

Nowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CC58A1B6-5697-42EC-A34B-1AF53861EE0E.jpeg
D4E4DD85-9CDD-4F97-A18F-FE506B667135.jpeg
I lost my T. crocea this week to pyramid snails and lack of quarantine. I’ve sequestered my remaining mollusks in a mesh bin near the surface (astrea and trochus). These snails have no pyramid infestation that I was able to see.

Will pyramid snails die off without a mollusk to feed on (are they obligate molluskivores?)

I have nothing in the tank which will target pyramids right now. I also have no desire to add another Tridacna at this time given this experience.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's how we had to beat them, starve them out. Wrasses typically sleep when the pyramids are out and about. We went without any snails for many months since they feed on them as well.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasses follow the sand sifter and go to town, funny to watch... I had a lot at one time and within 4 months I have not seen a single one..
Wrasses will take them out if they have the right tank mates to do so...

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses do eat them and I'm not saying they don't? IME the only way sure way to rid your tank of them is to remove there food source. Wrasses are diurnal and pyramids are nocturnal so that was always an issue for us. Sorry for the loss OP

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was what I thought but I never lost a snail to them, it was very strange how they even showed up in my tank in the first place. But the pyramids would sleep in the substrate and the goby would sift them up and my 2 wrasses were right there. I would have never believed it unless I saw it for myself..

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starvation is the best way, wrasses may eat them, but A. They'll never get them all, and B I agree with the comment @DSC reef made that wrasse sleep at night, and that's when pyramids like to come out and play :)

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost an amazing collection to pyramids, it was devastating for sure. Our squamosa was the biggest hit. Had that clam for many years, from 3" to 12" and survived 3 moves. I believe the snails came in on a few astrea snails

OP
OP
Nowell

Nowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, firefish 1, pyramid scooting across the glass 0.
It’s a start. Wife and I were cheering and telling it to not spit out the snail.

The little terrorists are fast too. One went across and into the overflow as I watched.

With the clam gone they’re like the torpedo from Hunt for Red October searching for another target.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nowell

Nowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was what I thought but I never lost a snail to them, it was very strange how they even showed up in my tank in the first place. But the pyramids would sleep in the substrate and the goby would sift them up and my 2 wrasses were right there. I would have never believed it unless I saw it for myself..

That’s cool. I’ve seen similar wrassing in the wild with wrasses following goatfish or stingrays.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back