Pyro's 29g Standard

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Thought I’d share my 29 gallon std. with 10 gallon sump build. I got the tanks and stand about a year and a half ago and then decided to make it a nano reef. It’s been an on again off again build but I finally got it up and running. It was trashed as you can see. The top trim was broken so I removed it and added some glass braces. It also needed a reseal. I sanded and painted the stand. The 10 gallon a made a DIY sump with fuge. I could have just bought new but I like to fix stuff and DIY. Really enjoying the process and looking forward to making some additions. Planning a mixed reef.

All equipment was budget friendly:
Reefkeeper Lite NET (used)
165W Black Box Wifi LED
IceCap K2-50 Skimmer
Jebao DCQ 3500 Return Pump
Jebao CP-90 Wavemaker
Jebao DC-2 Dosing Pump for AWC
Jebao DC-3 Slave Pump for Alk, Cal, Mag
Phosban 150 Reactor
SUN 10W UV Sterilizer
BOYU 602 Twin Fan
UFO 150W Fuge LED
DIY ATO with Aquatainer

I had a tough time cycling the tank. I was “ghost” feeding a couple pellets each day (first time trying this). After a month I picked up some Fritz TurboStart 900 and after a few days all tests hit zero.
0228181340_resized.jpg

0307181344_resized.jpg

0307181816b_resized.jpg

0304181533_resized.jpg

0407181619_resized.jpg

20190309_204101_HDR(2).jpg

20190309_204118_HDR.jpg

20190311_114029_HDR.jpg

20190311_113905_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

RIreefGuy

Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! What did u use to mount the light. I have the same one and am struggling to find a good solution.

Thanks!

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like your fans? Debating to buy temp controller + those or nano chili and heater setup let me know how reliable and get work done pls!

OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like your fans? Debating to buy temp controller + those or nano chili and heater setup let me know how reliable and get work done pls!

Not sure yet. I had an extra outlet on my RKL and figured I'd try it out. It's set to come on at 80 degrees and hasn't hit that yet. It doesn't push a lot of air tho.

Incredible! How did you learn to reseal and also remove the top brace? I'd love to be able to do this to a standard tank as well!

Thanks. I watched YouTube videos and read up on it. I just replaced the protecting seal. The structural seal between the glass was in good shape. If you take the rim off a 29 gallon you have to add some sort of bracing on the corners and middle since it's 30" long and over 16" high. The old glass lids I used are probably overkill but I did notice a 1/16" bow when I filled it to the top without the bracing. I didn't want to chance it.

OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big day today. Finally got my first salty fish in a loooooooooooooong time. A group of Yellow Striped Cardinalfish. 30 days in the hole (Qt) hopefully they all do well. Already lovin these little guys :).
20190604_180245.jpg

20190604_180453_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Subscribed! looks like a new tank after all that hard work you put in!

I wanted to do something very similar with my display light but couldnt get it to work right with my overflow etc.
i love the plumbing (especially into the fuge for flow)

How do you like your skimmer and also that Fuge Light?

OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! It's getting there. I can't wait to add some corals.

I can't really say about skimmer yet bc there's only a small CUC in the tank and my nutrients have been very low since cycling. I've only been running it and the Fuge light at night for 8 hrs. I like the Fuge light and my Chaeto is nice and green and I've already seen some growth. The problem is it sounds like a jet engine is in my office when it's running! I may have to look into switching out the fan for a silent model.

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is exciting, i only have 3 and cant wait to buy more i can see how people end up spending thousands on corals haha ;Greedy. But your almost there!

Just curious because im having trouble dialing in the skimmate on my reef octopus BH-50, getting some skimmate but it is pretty clear and not very thick, so if i cant get it dialed in the next couple months will probly start looking into something else but there arent too many quality skimmers for tanks our size.

Yeah mine is in my bedroom so i would not like to try and sleep to the sound of a jet engine :p. I have a "ABI 23W Tuna Blue LED Par38" on my refugium and have seen some good growth i believe from my Chaeto, definitely some hair algae too lol and it is dead silent, when i have my tank closed i cant hear it at all through the night and im a very light sleeper. I can barely even hear it with the stand open.

their like 35$ on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V5V5JP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if it helps!

OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really is exciting, i only have 3 and cant wait to buy more i can see how people end up spending thousands on corals haha ;Greedy. But your almost there!

Just curious because im having trouble dialing in the skimmate on my reef octopus BH-50, getting some skimmate but it is pretty clear and not very thick, so if i cant get it dialed in the next couple months will probly start looking into something else but there arent too many quality skimmers for tanks our size.

Yeah mine is in my bedroom so i would not like to try and sleep to the sound of a jet engine :p. I have a "ABI 23W Tuna Blue LED Par38" on my refugium and have seen some good growth i believe from my Chaeto, definitely some hair algae too lol and it is dead silent, when i have my tank closed i cant hear it at all through the night and im a very light sleeper. I can barely even hear it with the stand open.

their like 35$ on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073V5V5JP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if it helps!

Yea I may need to switch the Fuge light. I'll give it some time, maybe I'll get used to it and be able to tune it out, lol.

I'm not getting much from my skimmer either. I'm thinking we'll see thicker/darker skimmate once there's more of a bioload in the tanks. I'd give it some time. The fuge will also take up nutrients and some say a skimmer isn't even needed in a nano.

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might as well or use it and then get something quieter next time.

Thats what im hoping the only thing that worries me is my Nitrate was staying around 18/20 for awhile and still didnt have much good skimmate, i get alot thrown onto the top but thats it. Still as you said im hoping that once theres more bioload it will start pulling out more.
I plan on having a heavy stocked tank so ill need it to be working double duty.

Another thing ive considered is taking out the skimmer and using one of those smaller rollermats, im having a hard time getting a filtersock that will fit in my sump so it would help with larger particles in the water column too.

Do you plan on adding any other fish?

Reef Recked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might as well or use it and then get something quieter next time.

Thats what im hoping the only thing that worries me is my Nitrate was staying around 18/20 for awhile and still didnt have much good skimmate, i get alot thrown onto the top but thats it. Still as you said im hoping that once theres more bioload it will start pulling out more.
I plan on having a heavy stocked tank so ill need it to be working double duty.

Another thing ive considered is taking out the skimmer and using one of those smaller rollermats, im having a hard time getting a filtersock that will fit in my sump so it would help with larger particles in the water column too.

OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah I plan on stocking heavy and probably overstocking, lol. nothing crazy tho.

I'm looking at 4 cardinalfish, pair of clowns, royal gramma, and gobie/shrimp combo. Probably from Diver's Den. They had a RG and bonded pair of ORA Snowflake Clowns this week but I still have the cardinalfish in my QT till next week.

I saw you got a frag rack and figured I'd need one so I DIY'd one out of spare parts while making my 2 pc. lid (still waiting on the netting). My reef dreams are bigger than my reef budget :D
20190619_162902.jpg

20190619_161556.jpg

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great job on the tank! I have been thinking of doing the same on a 40B looks cleaner for sure but if you have to add a screen top it might loose its sexy clean look?. what are you gonna do for a top to keep the fish in?

I so enjoy watching reef tanks come together :D

OP
OP
Pyrosteve

Pyrosteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It takes away a little but I don't think too much. I have glass I can cut too but the screen will be easier to use so it's a trade off.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back