Qt a matted filefish, what to do for prophylactic treatment?

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of adding a matted filefish. I like the fish and have some xenia that is out of control. I know it's hit or miss on whether they will eat what you want and leave everything else alone, but figure I'd give one a go.

So, I qt all fish and would like to treat prophylacticly. I have seen some say they are sensitive to copper, and haven't seen much about CP or Prazipro use.

I am going to cycle a QT before getting the fish, and plan to purchase from a LFS that does some quarantine and gets fish eating before sale.

Ideally, I would do CP treatment and Prazipro then observe before adding to display. I have historically done TTM, but just had surgery and think TTM would be too labor intensive for the foreseeable future. I can enlist help for water changes, but that is also part of why I will cycle qt first -to limit ammonia/water change needs.

Anyone have experience with treating/qt these fish, or any other input?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never owned a filefish, so I can't say which meds you can use on one. TTM would probably be my modus operandi if I had to QT one. However, a LFS I know does use copper on them and feeds them frozen krill - which is odd because most of my fish hate that stuff. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, yeah I have seen krill listed on several sites as part of their diet.

I just had back surgery, so all the rearranging stuff for TTM is a no go for quite some time. Heck I can't drive for a month. I am stuck in my house to stare at my fish tank and not tinker with it!

This. Is. Torture.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, yeah I have seen krill listed on several sites as part of their diet.

I just had back surgery, so all the rearranging stuff for TTM is a no go for quite some time. Heck I can't drive for a month. I am stuck in my house to stare at my fish tank and not tinker with it!

This. Is. Torture.

:(:(:(

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not had trouble treating filefish with any medications. They seem pretty hardy, but IME 1/4 of them do not make it the first month for some reason. Those that remain are often very very hardy. This is just my experience. I have one right now but I have had many over the years.

Again, quite anecdotal, but of the perhaps 10 I have owned, 6 or 7 have eaten mojano, aiptasia, anthelia, and xenia. Mojano less frequently than the rest, but I believe the rest ate those things. I think I had one that ignored mojano and aiptasia but devoured anthelia and xenia as well a few years ago. Hard to remember, I buy them, use them, and then sell to a hobbyist that needs their services. I only own them perhaps one year or less at a time.

OP
OP
cmcoker

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not had trouble treating filefish with any medications. They seem pretty hardy, but IME 1/4 of them do not make it the first month for some reason. Those that remain are often very very hardy. This is just my experience. I have one right now but I have had many over the years.

Again, quite anecdotal, but of the perhaps 10 I have owned, 6 or 7 have eaten mojano, aiptasia, anthelia, and xenia. Mojano less frequently than the rest, but I believe the rest ate those things. I think I had one that ignored mojano and aiptasia but devoured anthelia and xenia as well a few years ago. Hard to remember, I buy them, use them, and then sell to a hobbyist that needs their services. I only own them perhaps one year or less at a time.

Thanks for the input. I think it's a neat fish anyway, so it would just be a bonus if it eats the xenia.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I think it's a neat fish anyway, so it would just be a bonus if it eats the xenia.
They are neat but some tend to be pretty cryptic - preferring to only be seen when feeding. Add to this the impressive camouflage and they have a tendency to vanish. The casual onlooker that spots them is always intrigued and it is a favorite of friends and family if they discover it on their own.

My current filefish is small but is out more than most of them I have had in the past. He's too small yet to devour my aiptasia as I hoped but in time I think he will do well. It could be in my head but I feel like they're slowly disappearing or are shrinking in size because he is irritating them. Both are good signs.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back