QT and Stocking Help please

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I have a 6 foot tank thats been setup for the past year and a bit.

I was hoping for some advice about introducing and qt some new fish.

I have had itch in the past, at the time I did not have a QT tank. Since then I have purchased one and also treated the tank with reef safe itch removing medication (I forgot the name, I can check later if its important)

I currently have a few tangs (Purple, Powder Blue and Blue Hippo) amongst other fish. They have shown no signs of itch since the medication went in nearly a year ago.

I would like to qt and introduce a couple of fish whom are more prone to disease (Powder Brown and Achilles and a few other tangs and angels). Since my other tangs are not showing signs of itch do guys think the tank is safe for them (after a few weeks of qt the new introductions).

I saw a post my 4fordfamily who had a qt with something like 10 plus fish. If I bring over some filter media into the qt tank, have 2 filters and do daily water changes how many fish would be acceptable in a 30 gallon qt tank. I'm planning on asking my LFS to make a special order for me, and I would like to have them arrive all at once.

I was planning on getting:

Emperor Angel

Copperband Butterfly

Desjardini Sailfin Tang

Achilles Tang

Powderbrown Tang

Naso Tang

Yellow Tail Tamarin Wrasse

also maybe a Gem Tang (just need to check price, don't want to spend a fortune if I can help it).

What would be the best way to introduce them to reduce aggression. My powderblue tang in particular doesn't like new additions, but eventually learned to live with the Purple Tang.

Thanks guys.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following this current QT protocol:

I would do the quarantine in batches and not all at once. That's a lot of fish to manage in a small tank. There is no need to rush it IMO.

dkeller22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of big Tangs, even for a 6 foot tank. Even if you get small fish IMO that’s too much for a 30 gal QT tank. I have 30 and a 20 gal qt tanks and I wouldn’t put that many fish in at once. QT tanks are usually bare bottom with less than ideal filtration so you have to watch the bio load so you don’t have ammonia spikes. Also consider that the fish you are looking at will probably come in with parasites and once you medicate the ammonia test is useless.

OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. If you were doing this how many batches and what fish would you put together / seperate. I'm a little worried about getting the copperband and tamarin wrasse eating. And also aggression from the tangs.

OP
OP
F

feegus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of big Tangs, even for a 6 foot tank. Even if you get small fish IMO that’s too much for a 30 gal QT tank. I have 30 and a 20 gal qt tanks and I wouldn’t put that many fish in at once. QT tanks are usually bare bottom with less than ideal filtration so you have to watch the bio load so you don’t have ammonia spikes. Also consider that the fish you are looking at will probably come in with parasites and once you medicate the ammonia test is useless.
I did not know that ammonia tests become useless after medication. Is this for all medicines or just some?

Also I was under the impression the media would cycle the tank and make the ammonia a non problem? Whats your experience with this?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 69 52.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back