QT Basics Please!

zchauvin

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2015
Messages
189
Reaction score
113
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, I currently have the following fish in two systems.

Zebra Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Black Tang
Blue Face Koi Tang
Chocolate Tang
Gem Tang
Bangai Cardinal x 3
Clown fish x 4
Tailspot Blenny
Firefish x 2
Chromis x 7
Wrasse ( Coris, Flasher, Cleaner ) x 5

I will be putting all fish into a 340g system that is arriving next week. I plan to use my current 4’ 105g system for QT. All coral will be moved into the new system, rock and sand removed from the current system and all fish housed together. I will use plenty of PVC sections, flow, egg crate divider as necessary to keep the tangs from fighting.

I know nothing about QT and acquired all of these fish from different sources and have been extremely lucky with only the PB showing stress ich. What am I missing and what do I need to do to ensure all of these fish go into the new system disease free.

To add, I do use and will be using UV at all times. No rock or sand will be transferred over and the new system will be run fallow with only coral for 8 weeks or more if necessary.

The only diseases I have run into with all of the fish was uronema and ich. Only the powder blue has shown ich, and uronema took out other chromis that I attempted to add around two months ago.

I have four sets of polyplab media blocks (16 total) that will stay in the “QT” system unless this is a bad idea. My thought was for bacteria, ammonia control etc.
 
Ok, I currently have the following fish in two systems.

Zebra Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Black Tang
Blue Face Koi Tang
Chocolate Tang
Gem Tang
Bangai Cardinal x 3
Clown fish x 4
Tailspot Blenny
Firefish x 2
Chromis x 7
Wrasse ( Coris, Flasher, Cleaner ) x 5

I will be putting all fish into a 340g system that is arriving next week. I plan to use my current 4’ 105g system for QT. All coral will be moved into the new system, rock and sand removed from the current system and all fish housed together. I will use plenty of PVC sections, flow, egg crate divider as necessary to keep the tangs from fighting.

I know nothing about QT and acquired all of these fish from different sources and have been extremely lucky with only the PB showing stress ich. What am I missing and what do I need to do to ensure all of these fish go into the new system disease free.

To add, I do use and will be using UV at all times. No rock or sand will be transferred over and the new system will be run fallow with only coral for 8 weeks or more if necessary.

The only diseases I have run into with all of the fish was uronema and ich. Only the powder blue has shown ich, and uronema took out other chromis that I attempted to add around two months ago.

I have four sets of polyplab media blocks (16 total) that will stay in the “QT” system unless this is a bad idea. My thought was for bacteria, ammonia control etc.
I recommend treatment with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25 for a FULL 30 days monitored with a Hanna Brand copper test kit- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone. After the 30 day period, follow up with two prazi pro applications dosed at 85% of recommended and allow it to work for 5 days, change water and apply one more application lasting 5 days and continue air stone as Prazi lowers both oxygen and appetite
I prefer seeded sponge in lieu of blacks which may absorb moth medications but should not be of high impact for absorbency
 
Ok, I currently have the following fish in two systems.

Zebra Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Black Tang
Blue Face Koi Tang
Chocolate Tang
Gem Tang
Bangai Cardinal x 3
Clown fish x 4
Tailspot Blenny
Firefish x 2
Chromis x 7
Wrasse ( Coris, Flasher, Cleaner ) x 5

I will be putting all fish into a 340g system that is arriving next week. I plan to use my current 4’ 105g system for QT. All coral will be moved into the new system, rock and sand removed from the current system and all fish housed together. I will use plenty of PVC sections, flow, egg crate divider as necessary to keep the tangs from fighting.

I know nothing about QT and acquired all of these fish from different sources and have been extremely lucky with only the PB showing stress ich. What am I missing and what do I need to do to ensure all of these fish go into the new system disease free.

To add, I do use and will be using UV at all times. No rock or sand will be transferred over and the new system will be run fallow with only coral for 8 weeks or more if necessary.

The only diseases I have run into with all of the fish was uronema and ich. Only the powder blue has shown ich, and uronema took out other chromis that I attempted to add around two months ago.

I have four sets of polyplab media blocks (16 total) that will stay in the “QT” system unless this is a bad idea. My thought was for bacteria, ammonia control etc.
I recommend treatment with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25 for a FULL 30 days monitored with a Hanna Brand copper test kit- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone. After the 30 day period, follow up with two prazi pro applications dosed at 85% of recommended and allow it to work for 5 days, change water and apply one more application lasting 5 days and continue air stone as Prazi lowers both oxygen and appetite
Perfect thank you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new