QT decided to cycle

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after an Ich crash I left my tank fallow for like 80 days (felt like a million) and decided I would QT every fish and treat with copper. Got my first pair of davincci clownfish and decided they were way too cute and I couldn't unnecessarily put them through copper. So I decided only susceptible fish like tangs would get copper. So I purchased a Picasso Trigger from Petco ( I know I know save the yelling screaming and bashing) it's the ONLY LFS that sells marine withing 45 minutes and sometimes things catch my eye and I can't help but think I'm saving the fish.

So Pablo is our new Picasso Trigger and has been in QT with no signs of any illness or spots. He acts like a dog when I come home swimming wildly for food. He was acting a little sluggish so I checked parameters and go figure my QT that has one piece of live rock and a bare bottom that has been setup for 3 months decides it's time to cycle. I was just getting ammonia and doing water changes and figured I didn't have enough live bacteria with one piece of LR to even start the nitrification process. Anyway ammonia and Nitr-i-tes were through the roof so he is currently drip acclimating in my DT.

Was this my best move? I feel confident he is healthy although he came from the place thou shall not name.

Will he eat my corals? I assume this is personality specific.

He eats A LOT. can he over eat? I will of course be attempting to feed him adequately with frozen food so that the corals do not look appetizing.

If he happens to go for the corals I am going to put him in a 20G aggressive tank with a lion fish. My gf loves Pablo so either way it's a win win. Pablo doesn't eat corals, Bryan gets beautiful trigger in DT. Pablo eats corals, Bryan gets aggressive tank and a dwarf lion.

It's a win win for me and Pablo.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long was the trigger in qt for? I know how tempting it is to move a fish especially when things are not going as planned but I would have added prime, some more bacteria and prepared for a huge water change. Triggers are messy carnivores and need diligent tank maintenance especially while qt to keep the tank clean so ammonia does not rise. What kind of filtration do you have on the qt tank?

To another issue, a 20g tank no matter if it is standard, long or high is too small for a lionfish (except maybe some of the smaller species, MAYBE) and definitely too small for a triggerfish, especially combined with the lionfish, no matter what species.

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I have to agree. There is no such thing as a 20 gal. "aggressive tank". Aggressive tanks are usually 180 gallons or better. Minimum tank size for a Picasso Trigger is 180 gal. Minimum tank size for a lionfish is 120 gal., 50 gallons for the dwarf species. If you want to keep a 20 gallon tank I'd suggest you try to find new homes for your aggressive fish and replace with small fish suited for a tank that size.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I could keep a dwarf lion and a trigger in something small, like maybe a 29 or 40B. FOWLR just the two fish nothing else. I'm sure eventually they would outgrow it but if you guys don't think that would be good, I will rehome him if not. I work second shift so I was up late and there was no one to post so I took him out of the QT. He was in there almost 11 days. I am using a penguin 100 and a penguin 200 on the QT as well as the instant ocean protein skimmer. I've been watching him for a few hours now and no bad behavior yet. It was an impulse buy, I had been thinking about. I saw him there and decided no. 3 weeks later he was still there and swimming wherever I walked I connected with him and made the purchase. I had the gut feeling he would be reef safe. I'll probably be wrong and end up rehoming him but I hope not. I saw skyrocketed ammonia and nitrite and just thought I had to get him out of there.

SaltyChick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a picasso trigger mine is almost 6 inches long and is only half grown. I feel aweful keeping him in my 57 deep blue. A 20g is no where NEAR large enough! And they are far from reefsafe. Please do proper research before selecting fish

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is 3 inches and going in my 72. I did do the research. What is the difference between me buying him for a 72 and you buying him for a 55? Many of the fish we buy would get MUCH larger in the ocean. He has more than enough room for now and if I can get a year or more out of him in my tank I will be more than happy with that.

SaltyChick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought him for a 125 that hasnt been set up yet. And its not a 55 its a 57 deep blue. Big difference for swimming space. And good luck finding someome to take him after a year. I tried giving mine away a few months ago. Not even an lfs would take him. No one wants picassos. Too aggressive with not many suitable tank mates.
Which brings me to another point. The trigger will destroy your lions fins

Last edited:

SaltyChick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought him for a 125 that hasnt been set up yet. And its not a 55 its a 57 deep blue. Big difference for swimming space.

OP
OP
Bryan47

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only got the idea because he was in a 20g tank with a blue jaw trigger, powder brown tang and dwarf lion. I don't even know if those tanks are 20g they may be 15. They seemed to coexist peacefully.

I purchased him with someone who would take him if he started nipping corals already set up.

My point was if he doesn't work out in the 72 reef I have a family member who will take him.

An aggressive tank is just one of those dreams, not something that will happen anytime soon.

I always do my research. I saw him, went home and researched them, others experiences, and made sure to have a place for him if it didn't work out. I hope this clarifies my intentions with the fish. I was looking for advice on the QT that suddenly started cycling and unfortunately it was 3am and no one was up so I made the best decision I could with the situation at hand. So far it's working out and I hope it continues to. I will be sure to let you know.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a few of those nylon filter bags, fill each one with a cup of biomedia, and drop it into the sump of your display. In a month or so you will have ready made bio filtration for any QT tank you subsequently need to setup.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although the tank is too small, the issue about him eating coral kind of depends on the coral. If you only have xenia & colt coral you might be ok. I had frog spawn & monti cap in with my dog face puffer a while back. He never touched it. But shrooms & zoas are candy.

Problem is, when you find out, it's too late. You should look into a bigger tank if these are the fish you like. Shouldn't be hard if your girl is into it as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back