QT for new 265 Tank

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this Thursday I am getting my other tank set up, 265 Gallon 7 foot. Cycle will prob be a month to 6 weeks tops I figure. I currently have a 120 Gallon and that tank cycled in 2.5 weeks but everything except for sand was brought from a functioning tank, so even though there was some dye off in the rocks it cycled quick. I wanted to get the fish into QT now so it can coincide with the cycle. I already learned the hard lesson of not Quarantining fish since I lost almost all my fish once in the 120 to velvet. I will never not QT again, but I want to do it right and not stress the fish any more than Necessary.

I have up to now QT'd in a 20 Gallon tank. I wanted to get a few bigger fish to start, 4-5 inches. Was thinking a Blonde Naso and possibly Achilles or Sail fin, might be a little too much to start. I was wondering if it is OK to QT these two together for a few weeks in that small of a tank. I have QT'd other tangs together but most were small. Also, especially since these are a little more high end, should I start with diffrent fish once the cycle is done

Seadragon1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two 4"-5" peaceful fish sould be OKAY but I would provide more room if I could

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend something bigger if you can do it. I went with a 55 gallon long 48" which I got at Petco during their dollar per gallon sale. Keep in mind with out live rock or sand you will not have much bio filtration, so with bigger you fish you will need more volume to prevent spikes in ammonia. I would also recommend using plastic bio balls to help with the bio filtration.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 57 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.8%
Back