ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all hope all is well ^_^

Few questions
First im reading introducing least agressive fish first is best so goby's good for introducing first but also reading that sometimes can be hard qt a goby as eats from an established sand bed which you dont have in qt and dont have in a newly set up dt ,so this all dependant on if goby eating dry food or frozen at the lfs i take it ? I also get a fish can change its mind on what it eats but what your experiences?
Ywg or yasha goby im thinking off.
Take sand out dt sand bed ( only been wet just over 8 weeks) or use brand new sand or it doesnt matter at all ?
With the pistol shrimp im reading put bowl of sand or pile some sand around and on top of some pvc piping in the qt in corner of tank ( some dont qt inverts at all!!!
Then let pistol shrimp make its burrow and then add goby close to burrow entrance as possible.
So what your opinions on this.thanks in advance for replys

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience qt’ing a shrimp...I just put mine in right after acclimation. I would think as long as it has some sand to play in it should be okay while in qt. Just no copper meds.
The goby can be qt’d like any fish, would appreciate some sand the same way the pistol would though.

As for which goby to get, it depends on which shrimp you want (or vice versa). A YWG goes better with a tiger shrimp (both larger, although the goby is also fine with a tiger shrimp), while the yasha is generally best with a candy cane shrimp (smaller, less likely that the shrimp may injure the goby imo).

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a goby pistol pair. I did not QT the shrimp, I put him straight in the DT. I have had both a YWG and sand sifter. In my experience the watchman goby eats mainly from the water column and the sand sifter eats from both the sand and water column. For that reason the YWG was okay to QT because he ate mysis and pellets.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a goby pistol pair. I did not QT the shrimp, I put him straight in the DT. I have had both a YWG and sand sifter. In my experience the watchman goby eats mainly from the water column and the sand sifter eats from both the sand and water column. For that reason the YWG was okay to QT because he ate mysis and pellets.

Ok great so between ywg and yasha goby,the ywg sounds to be better,well do better in qt .ovbiously any fish i buy i ask them to show me its eating as a sick fish often generally not good at eating.out of the 2 im more drawn to the yasha goby as think looks really cool but a bright ywg a nice fish also.and about qt shrimp i didnt qt my hermit crabs even though for 5 years while waiting to set my tank up i decided 100% i would qt everything lol.so ive learnt my 100% doesnt actually mean 100% once impatience is in the mix also ha ha.ok ty for reply

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience qt’ing a shrimp...I just put mine in right after acclimation. I would think as long as it has some sand to play in it should be okay while in qt. Just no copper meds.
The goby can be qt’d like any fish, would appreciate some sand the same way the pistol would though.

As for which goby to get, it depends on which shrimp you want (or vice versa). A YWG goes better with a tiger shrimp (both larger, although the goby is also fine with a tiger shrimp), while the yasha is generally best with a candy cane shrimp (smaller, less likely that the shrimp may injure the goby imo).

Ok thanks for info on best shrimp to go with what goby as not actually read that anywhere sauing this, but makes sense.
And yeah will pile some sand up in and around and on top of a pvc pipe or elbow so it can feel a little safer whilst in qt.
Im a 43 year old man but feel like a 12 year old girl with thoughts im getting.
As im thinking if just qt the goby on its own.will it get lonely and should i buy another fish also so 2 of them in qt together so at least can see another fish and interact together lol

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like ricksreefs, "I'm no help here" except to say that the relationship between a goby and shrimp is an amazing thing to watch. I have a Wheeler's goby and a Tiger pistol shrimp. I quarantined the goby while looking for a shrimp which I dipped and drip acclimated but did not quarantine. I actually introduced them to the tank together. Good luck with whichever pair you chose.

Attachments

• Bart and Ruger IV.jpg
    Bart and Ruger IV.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like ricksreefs, "I'm no help here" except to say that the relationship between a goby and shrimp is an amazing thing to watch. I have a Wheeler's goby and a Tiger pistol shrimp. I quarantined the goby while looking for a shrimp which I dipped and drip acclimated but did not quarantine. I actually introduced them to the tank together. Good luck with whichever pair you chose.

Yes defo. It amzaes me just saltwater tanks in general and the fish/ corals and even all the strange weird critters good and bad.and pistol shrimp/ goby pairing and how they interact is just downright spectacular .
What do you mean by " dipped"

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently looking for a Randall’s goby to go with my tiger. I will be putting it in a qt with some fake decor and pvc. No sand.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great so between ywg and yasha goby,the ywg sounds to be better,well do better in qt .ovbiously any fish i buy i ask them to show me its eating as a sick fish often generally not good at eating.out of the 2 im more drawn to the yasha goby as think looks really cool but a bright ywg a nice fish also.and about qt shrimp i didnt qt my hermit crabs even though for 5 years while waiting to set my tank up i decided 100% i would qt everything lol.so ive learnt my 100% doesnt actually mean 100% once impatience is in the mix also ha ha.ok ty for reply
Also I should add I have no sand in my QT

also @Sharkbait19 every time I read your name I add ooh haha
9BB8D7A5-0C81-4F94-B7A7-412FBB2613CF.gif

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah originally I had my yasha in a breeder box in my main display bc he was just so tiny I thought he wouldn’t make it with the big fish in my qt so I pampered him in there for a while until I finally found my candy cane and I released them into the tank at the same time. They paired right away, it was amazing until they "unpaired" and I found the yashas head being eaten by my hermit a few days after I hadn’t seen him in a while. But one of my lfs that I buy almost everything from are qt'ing one for me right now. I'm so excited lol. Make sure you have a fine-mesh net mine jump into my aios return pump chamber and that scared me half to death. just wanted to share lol

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same pair I have. Great little guys, and both are always out and about. I bought my pair already paired, and I did not QT either. Took a chance on the goby, and I have never QT'ed inverts.

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes defo. It amzaes me just saltwater tanks in general and the fish/ corals and even all the strange weird critters good and bad.and pistol shrimp/ goby pairing and how they interact is just downright spectacular .
What do you mean by " dipped"
ying yang: I use a product called "Safety Stop" on all livestock that goes into my tank. It's a 2 part dip of formalin and methylene blue.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ying yang: I use a product called "Safety Stop" on all livestock that goes into my tank. It's a 2 part dip of formalin and methylene blue.

I just did quick search on " safety stop "
When you say you use safety stop on all livestock,you mean on intervebrates also like the pistol shrimp ? As it says dont use on intervatbrates or you talking about something different? Or all livestock maybe you mean just fish ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210518-223714_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210518-223714_Chrome.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 26

CavalierReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just did quick search on " safety stop "
When you say you use safety stop on all livestock,you mean on intervebrates also like the pistol shrimp ? As it says dont use on intervatbrates or you talking about something different? Or all livestock maybe you mean just fish ?
I'm sorry my post was confusing. Yes, I use Safety Stop on all fish. I just drip acclimate shrimp.

OP
OP
ying yang

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks for clarification.
That safety stop seems cheap and got 2 ingrediants in that see mentioned all the time.

Back