QT for Watchman goby?

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How best to run a diamond watchman through QT with a bare bottom tank? It will be my first QT set up in a 10g and want to set up for just success. Have checked the QT thread and have all r comm need items but curious about sand sifter specifically.

TIA

Last edited:

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having a heck of a time getting diamond or yellow watchman through quarantine. In fairness, Live Aquaria hasn’t been shipping healthy fish though.

OP
OP
DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He might enjoy even a bowl full of sand, as would be provided for a sand-sleeping wrasse. I've not tried to quarantine a sandsifting goby, myself, but would try the bowl if I ever do.

~Bruce
Thanks Bruce -- I am considering that as a reasonable mid ground.

Shockingly (ha!) opinions cover the full spectrum across the internet - no need to quarantine / too stressful in barebottom all the way to 6 week with prophy and sand bed.

OP
OP
DeepBlueSomething

DeepBlueSomething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been having a heck of a time getting diamond or yellow watchman through quarantine. In fairness, Live Aquaria hasn’t been shipping healthy fish though.
@4FordFamily - what set-up are you approaching with? There is a great looking diamond at my LFS but not sure how to set-up for success.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@4FordFamily - what set-up are you approaching with? There is a great looking diamond at my LFS but not sure how to set-up for success.
Not sure I’d emulate me! Haha

It’s just a standard 55 with pvc, 55 gal biowheel, some sponge, a bubbler, light, mesh, and canopy!

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning to run through some prophy treatment -- should I bring sand over from DT and then toss at end of QT?

Depending on your planned medications, the sand may or may not interfere with treatment, and may or may not be safe to put back into your tank when QT is over.

The only prophylactic treatment I do in QT is prazipro, which is fine to dose with sand, and also does not permanently taint the sand (you could put it back into DT). If you do TTM, I would give him a tupperware of sand, changed with each transfer, and after a thorough RODI soak and drying, would also be safe to put back into DT.

I don’t have much experience with copper, but the sand would likely bind some of the medication and you would have to test the Cu level in the water and adjust dose accordingly. You would also not be able to put this sand back in your reef. Not sure if this is a concern with CP.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of fish is it? The title says watchman, and watchman species are fine without sand. But if it is a sifter, it will need sand.

drstardust

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have put 4 watchman gobies through standard bare bottom QT with copper for 30 days and prazipro x2 with absolutely no issues. They ate well and seems as happy as one can be in QT.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back