QT mistake

Tippfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I am really ignorant.

I have (2) clowns in a QT tank with an HOB filter. I did not "seed" the filter in my sump so.... the ammonia has been high in the QT.

Between (0.5 - 1.0 ppm). I've been doing about 30% water changes each day. Clowns are looking OK but....

They've been in QT about (8 days).

They will be the first living thing in my DT (except for a few snails).

Should I roll the dice and put them in the DT to get them out of the ammonia?

Other ideas?

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say keep going with the quarantine since you have gotten this far. Keep checking the ammonia and doing water changes. You can also add a a biological filter booster like bio spira to help get things going. Some PRIME water conditioner will render the ammonia harmless also. Just wondering, you say it will be the clowns will be the first fish in your DT, has the DT tank already cycled so the clowns will be ok once they get in their?

thenanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had your DT up and what did you want to achieve by putting then in QT? If your DT is an established and cycled reef then I would go ahead. Your LFS probably also had them in quarantine so i don't think you have to worry about any diseases. Also, clowns are relatively hardy (depending in the type) but with basic clowns (ocellaris and Percula) You should be good. I just don't want to tell you something, then you lose your $70 snowflake clown. I never put my clowns in QT and they are doing just fine.

thenanoreef

OP
OP
T

Tippfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DT has been up for about (60 days) and has cycled. Clowns are Percula. Thanks for the feedback.

thenanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go a head and put them in. Just follow all the same acclimation procedures , Keep lights low, drip acclimate, and monitor feed them right before you take them out of QT in and then not until later tonight or tomorrow morning even.

Best of luck,
thenanoreef

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO; 8 days of QT is not nearly enough. Especially if you are just passively observing (I assume this is the case since you made no mention of meds.)

Assuming your HOB contains bio-media of some kind (sponge/foam, bio-wheel, ceramic noodles, etc.), you can just about instantly seed it using one of those bacteria in a bottle products (exs. Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability, Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria). This will help greatly with the ammonia.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO; 8 days of QT is not nearly enough. Especially if you are just passively observing (I assume this is the case since you made no mention of meds.)

Assuming your HOB contains bio-media of some kind (sponge/foam, bio-wheel, ceramic noodles, etc.), you can just about instantly seed it using one of those bacteria in a bottle products (exs. Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability, Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria). This will help greatly with the ammonia.

+1. Very very few LFS QT fish, I would not chance it, min in QT 8 weeks. Snails need to be QT as well, but also use the ttm and no copper.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEVER, I MEAN NEVER trust a lfs to QT your fish stay with the QT less headaches.
How long have you had your DT up and what did you want to achieve by putting then in QT? If your DT is an established and cycled reef then I would go ahead. Your LFS probably also had them in quarantine so i don't think you have to worry about any diseases. Also, clowns are relatively hardy (depending in the type) but with basic clowns (ocellaris and Percula) You should be good. I just don't want to tell you something, then you lose your $70 snowflake clown. I never put my clowns in QT and they are doing just fine.

thenanoreef

thenanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEVER, I MEAN NEVER trust a lfs to QT your fish stay with the QT less headaches.

I understand where you are coming from. I wrongful wrote my post with my trust of my LFS in mind. You see I have gotten to know the owners of my LFS very well, including how the acclimate and qt their fish. I should also mention that I have observed their process first hand and am not going off of what they say. But yes in general, salty phish, you are correct.

Sorry for the confusion,
thenanoreef

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem. Good lfs are hard to find in some areas.
I understand where you are coming from. I wrongful wrote my post with my trust of my LFS in mind. You see I have gotten to know the owners of my LFS very well, including how the acclimate and qt their fish. I should also mention that I have observed their process first hand and am not going off of what they say. But yes in general, salty phish, you are correct.

Sorry for the confusion,
thenanoreef

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Would love to hear details about their QT protocol. ;)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back