QT new fish after after fallow period

DS2022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi all,

I am fairly new to the saltwater hobby after year of successfully keeping tropical fish.

unfortunately I suffered a ich/ velvet break out in my reefer 250 which wiped out most of my live stock.

I am now ready to transfer the surviving fish back into the tank after a 76day fallow period - I only left the cleaner shrimp and pistol shrimp in the tank as I was advised that the ice/velvet does not effect them nor can the parasite feed on them.

I have learned my lesson with regards qt new fish and plan to qt all new additions using the tank I set up to treat / house the fish I managed to save from the reefer. I want to add a magnificent fox face (I lost my fox to the velvet outbreak) and a juvenile regal tang into the reefer along with tail spot blenny- my question is could I qt these fish together in the qt tank and how long would you recommend I should qt and observe them for before I introduce them into the reefer.

I am unsure whether to qt with cupermine or just saltwater ?

I am aware both of the above fish will out grow the reefer 250 - I accept this and will look to either upgrade my tank or remove the fish and donate to my LFS when the time comes.

I also would like to add a fire shrimp but again not sure if I need to qt separately. I am paranoid about introducing ICH/ Velvet back into my tank

thanks

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except for special cases, all new fish should be held in copper for 30 days. Coppersafe or copper power are preferred, but cupramine works as well. Fish should also be treated with prazipro to account for flukes.
Inverts should be held in a fishless system for at least 60 days (with no new additions during those 60 days) to eliminate chances of them bringing in parasites.

OP
OP
D

DS2022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, thanks for the response and advice, I don't think Prazipro is available in the UK . looking at the Fritz copper safe it says this treat flukes would this do the same job as prazipro?

also are the inverts able to tolerate copper treatment in QT?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t heard of copper being used for flukes.
Do you have access to api general cure? Any praziquantel best med will work for flukes.

Inverts will not be able to tolerate copper, but holding them in a fishless system will ensure all parasites have been starved out. I personally don’t qt my inverts before adding and haven’t had any issues from that front, but if I had the tank for it I would.

OP
OP
D

DS2022

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks against n for the advice, yes I can get hold of API products here in the uk. I have my old glass top off unit from the Red Sea tank which has been replaced with a larger container so I may convert that into a little qt tank for inverts

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back