QT Observation w/ tangs

fourseasonoutdoorsman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 1 week so far, I have been running a 29g QT with three tangs - YE Kole, Lavender, and Powder Brown. They are all ~2.5-3", eating, and swimming outside of their pvc hidey-holes.

I've been soaking up as much information as I can about various diseases/parasites that impact tangs (esp. Acanthurus) with the primaries being ich and velvet. I certainly don't know everything.

I did not want to start off with copper and have been doing API GC for a week (both directly in the water and bound with food using FOCUS). I'm not witnessing any flashing or visible signs of infection - I know this doesn't mean everything since it can hide in gills or is in a different part of its lifecycle.

FYSA, I got CP/Hanna Checker on stand-by.

So my question is, is it possible to ever feel confident enough with observation that ich/velvet aren't present? How long? 2 weeks? 3? I imagine the Powder Brown would show it sooner than the other ones b/c of general stressors associated with QT.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because this is such a problem with tangs I have always done the 36 hour TTM. Its a pain but will rid the fish of these 2 issues.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely do not rely on observational quarantine for tangs - it often fails. 30 days of chelated copper is my minimum. I always start with copper first, and then use prazi, as the flukes are much slower to kill a fish that the protozoans are. I do use a minimum of 14 days observation after the copper and prazi though...just because I've been burned one too many times, moving fish into DTs too soon.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back