QT procedure for captive bred fish

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do captive bred fish shipped directly to me need QT?

If so, would copper, then Prazi treatment be the recommendation? How long in each?

Or would no meds and observation for a couple of weeks suffice?

My first instinct is that captive bred fish would have not ever been exposed to any sort of disease/parasite, but I really don’t like to assume much of anything these days.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

If so, would copper, then Prazi treatment be the recommendation? How long in each?

My first instinct is that captive bred fish would have not ever been exposed to any sort of disease/parasite, but I really don’t like to assume much of anything these days.
Assume they have something and even go with 14 day quarantine or observation assuRe nothing foreign being introduced

tomtheturkey

Reef Wizard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would QT them if they are not also Pre QT on a just in case basis.

Here is current link to Jays QT protocol

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The odds are going to be pretty low that they have disease if shipped directly from the breeders to you since they don't have a chance to catch it in the process of getting to you like wild caught fish do but it's never a bad idea to treat them as if they did for at least some period of time.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Assume they have something and even go with 14 day quarantine or observation assuRe nothing foreign being introduced
I'm going to disagree - since many people are buying these fish - IMHO - If you are buying from a reputable dealer (there are several here - all good) However otherwise I would repeat the QT - my opinion

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When you say shipped directly to you, do you mean directly from the breeder? If so, IMO that is pretty safe. Captive raised fish that get tanked with any wild caught fish need to be given a full quarantine.

Jay

OP
OP
JayM

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say shipped directly to you, do you mean directly from the breeder? If so, IMO that is pretty safe. Captive raised fish that get tanked with any wild caught fish need to be given a full quarantine.

Jay
Yes. I’ve seen there are vendors that drop ship directly from ORA. Never been wet with anything other than what they were hatched and raised in.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I’ve seen there are vendors that drop ship directly from ORA. Never been wet with anything other than what they were hatched and raised in.
However, drop shipping brings with it different issues; double bouncing fish is really rough on them.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm going to disagree - since many people are buying these fish - IMHO - If you are buying from a reputable dealer (there are several here - all good) However otherwise I would repeat the QT - my opinion
You dont know if they are mixed with others, in shared systems or drop ship in which they endure long transit times and percentile of loss. You also should know what risks as far as carbon dioxide and ammonia can occur. Do you not see the number of quarantined fish that have arrived or became ill (without saying names of shippers).
Having had an LFS, I bought many fish and not all were healthy despite the great facilities they were shipping from
You are excluding risk and something I will Never do

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You dont know if they are mixed with others, in shared systems or drop ship in which they endure long transit times and percentile of loss. You also should know what risks as far as carbon dioxide and ammonia can occur. Do you not see the number of quarantined fish that have arrived or became ill (without saying names of shippers).
Having had an LFS, I bought many fish and not all were healthy despite the great facilities they were shipping from
You are excluding risk and something I will Never do
You didn't understand my post. I disagreed with a 14 day quarantine (which is what was suggested). I meant - IF one is going to do a quarantine - one should follow the protocol. But it brings up a good point, because people often aren't specific what they mean by 'quarantine', i.e. with or without medications. My response to you wasn't completely clear

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back