QT Protocol Question

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been following Jays QT protocol and had a question or 2. I am a day away fromprazipro. It says to do on day 35 then 40 then 47. It also mentions 7 days apart but obviously 35 to 40 is not 7 days. Is this just a typo or is there a reason for doing only 5 days from treat 1 to 2?
Also when doing a water change within the 7 days to keep ammonia at bay how is that handled? Do you do the water change as normal or does the water change water need to be dosed with prazipro as well? Also for each treatment do I need to do 100% water change first to remove any traces of previous treatment or can I just dose the same water throughout the process?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have been following Jays QT protocol and had a question or 2. I am a day away fromprazipro. It says to do on day 35 then 40 then 47. It also mentions 7 days apart but obviously 35 to 40 is not 7 days. Is this just a typo or is there a reason for doing only 5 days from treat 1 to 2?
Also when doing a water change within the 7 days to keep ammonia at bay how is that handled? Do you do the water change as normal or does the water change water need to be dosed with prazipro as well? Also for each treatment do I need to do 100% water change first to remove any traces of previous treatment or can I just dose the same water throughout the process?
With prazi , its 18 days with initial interval for 8 days, water change and another 8 days. If fish are present, add aeration via air stone

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for catching that, the time interval didn’t match the calendar, I just fixed it.
Try to avoid doing a water change within 24 hours of adding prazi. After that time, changes won’t matter as the prazi has already been decomposed. You do not need to do 100% changes, 30% is fine.
Jay

OP
OP
B

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for catching that, the time interval didn’t match the calendar, I just fixed it.
Try to avoid doing a water change within 24 hours of adding prazi. After that time, changes won’t matter as the prazi has already been decomposed. You do not need to do 100% changes, 30% is fine.
Jay
Thanks for the reply. When going from copper to prazi should I at least do a full water change for that or is it sufficient to just get the copper under 1.0 ppm through smaller water changes and then start with prazi?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. When going from copper to prazi should I at least do a full water change for that or is it sufficient to just get the copper under 1.0 ppm through smaller water changes and then start with prazi?
Many people run copper and prazi at the same time, but I prefer to start prazi after the copper has been reduced to about half dose, so 1.0 is good.
Jay

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 202 71.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 53 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back