QT Question - Why don't we add Cheato?

tutmatt3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

So I got some more pod eating fish that I'm QT'ing (Mandarin, leopard, etc)

My question w/ these fish is - why don't we include cheato in our QTs? If Cheato consumes nutrients, and supplies a home for pods (which I've read quite a few cases that pods survive copper), I don't see a negative to including it?

Looking forward to hearing any input! So lucky my mandarin eats frozen in addition to pods, so it'll make QT life easy

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys

So I got some more pod eating fish that I'm QT'ing (Mandarin, leopard, etc)

My question w/ these fish is - why don't we include cheato in our QTs? If Cheato consumes nutrients, and supplies a home for pods (which I've read quite a few cases that pods survive copper), I don't see a negative to including it?

Looking forward to hearing any input! So lucky my mandarin eats frozen in addition to pods, so it'll make QT life easy
I've added both Chaeto and a red ogo algae from my sump into my QT when adding new fish.

The only negative is that it can absorb copper, but not enough to make it an issue in my experience. I think adding a macro algae is a great idea.

I have had amphipods last for almost 2 weeks when exposed to copper. Not really sure about copepods due to their small size. I've never had the copper kill the macro algae.

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question actually.. I assume that cheato isn’t able to tolerate all the possible medications used to treat fish but I don’t know that for sure. That along with the need to throw away any cheato left over after an infected fish makes its way through the tank.. (although cheato generally isn’t that expensive and if you have some in a separate tank, it’s free).

Definitely following.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

Some medications are also algaecides, and the biofilm that covers the algae can have an effect on the effectiveness of some meds, and how long they last in the water column.

In some cases, though . . . that might be a halfway decent idea!

~Bruce

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally there isn't much bio load in a qt tank. The algae might starve, or starve the corals. If it's a fish qt I'd run copper.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is some of the Ogo algae in my QT.

qtfish.JPG

coweyes298

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I am in dilemma of ordering some macro algae. I know I need to QT them but I don't know how. I have a coral QT tank which I can throw new chaeto in the back chamber with a small LED. But I would add the chaeto after my current batch of coral which is in the QT tank for already 55 days. Don't want to mess any chance of brining the free swimming ich.

I am also thinking about using a bucket with a light and some DT water. But I don't know if chaeto will survive for 76 days?

I also have a fish QT tank running with 2.0ppm coppersafe dosage for almost 2 weeks. There are three anithias inside. I can also throw the new chaeto in it and wait for 30 days to let copper deal with ich. But this case I will need to remove anthias to another non medicate tank at 30 days mark for further observation.

Hard decision...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back