QT ta k question

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what the fish had but over a 2 week period it died. Now I have the QT tank and not sure how long before I can try and add a new fish to the QT tank. I changed the water and added carbon to get rid of the copper but how do I know for sure if the parasite or whatever killed it is gone before I try adding a new fish to the QT tank?

Dbartlett727

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After I QT a sick fish, I empty my tank out, give it a wipe down with some ro water and vinegar, rinse it out, and keep it empty until I need to QT another fish. I personally don’t even use the same water that had a parasite or copper treatment done to it. Which is why I wipe down and rinse good. I basically tried to follow the BRS QT method for the most part.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, from what I've read (assuming you don't have any calcium carbonate rock/sand in the QT), you generally want to either bleach it or thoroughly clean it with vinegar, then air dry it for 24+ hours, rinse it, then refill it/re-set it up.

If you use enough bottle-bac or enough cycled filter material, then it should be safe to reuse immediately after (see the Dr. Reef quote below):
Few years ago I conducted a massive study here on r2r. It's called bacteria in bottle myth or fact.
We studied 9 or 10 different brands.
Fritz turbostart 900 wins in every way possible.
Bio Spira and Dr Tim one and only are runner ups.
Rest I found might be hetrotrophic ammonia sludge removers.
We use instant cycles in our qt tanks in between bleaching tanks.
Never had any issues. I use fritz turbstart 900.
Bleach the tank. Air dry for 24 hrs rinse and reset. Fill up the tank and use 2 to 3 times the amount recommended and release fish.
Algae is normal phase of every tank cycle that likely can't be avoided.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back