QT tank how small can I go?

Midknightskie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking at the Fluval 13.5 for a QT tank I will leave it setup in the living room prob just sand and a rock for decoration. It will serve as the QT for my 300 so I don't go adding anything nasty to the tank. Do I need a bigger QT or is size just a preference? Thanks for the help

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT for fish or coral? If it's for fish and you mean 300 gallons, I would expect your fish to need a little more space; 20 gallons would be better if you are sticking to small fish. Large fish may need more than that.

I use a 10 gallon QT, but my fish are very small since my display is only 20g.

OP
OP
Midknightskie

Midknightskie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
300 gallon and my lfs always seem to have small reef fish also want a some zoes and softies if i can get my hands on them.

Flashy Fins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds ok, then. I wouldn't stick a tang in it, which tends to be the first fish everyone gets with a tank as large as 300g. If you're sticking to reef wrasses, gobies, clownfish, ect., then you should be fine.

OP
OP
Midknightskie

Midknightskie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I should be prepared if they have a larger fish I want so I can qt it. Would a Nuevo 20 gal be a good investment?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 Gallon is way better than 10 or 13 gallons.

If there's any way to swing a 30 or 40 gallon for QT, you buy yourself MUCH more capability to successfully house QT fish vs even a 20 Gallon. Definitely go bigger if you can. Going smaller is understandable, but the wrong instinct to follow in this case. ;)

Even 20 gallons is pretty tiny for a medium sized fish if they would have to spend any appreciable amount of time in there.

Maybe have something tiny like that 13 gallon for hospital duties, in case that should be required.

Nice not to have to invade the QT with meds just cuz you have no hospital. Less complicated.

OP
OP
Midknightskie

Midknightskie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the size restriction is more so I can place it anywhere in the house without it being a pain to find a spot for. Plus easy sell for my wife since I just bought a 300 gal. So should the qt tank and med tank be separate? When I'm not buying a fish to put in the tank it will just be empty. Of course I have no idea how I would remove and treat a sick full grown fish....

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the consideration.....you really want nothing to go wrong because you're not over stocking, not over feeding, and you are feeding live foods almost all the time.

But if something does happen, it would kinda blow to have zero capability to do something about it.

Try for that 30 Breeder! The smallest 36x18 footprint. Still gives you four and a half square feet of swimming room! :)

Consider it the price for doing business with a 300 gallon tank! ;)

Can you keep yourself to smaller fish in the 300 and leave the (e.g.) Tangs and Butterflyfish at the LFS? Maybe this is an acceptable compromise toward having a smaller QT/hospital facility.

Yeah, ideally the hospital is separate – it makes the bad scenarios a little simpler when you have a recovery zone that's separate from the treatment zone.

randy4083

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't want to put sand either in case you have to treat with medicine because it will draw the medicine out

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 58 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back