QT Treatment Advice

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The full therapeutic dosage can cause her to stop eating and can account for her sudden “floppy” behavior.

I would completely remove the copper ASAP and get her eating first (soak garlic in food to entice the fish). Give her a couple of days to rebound and then slowly ramp up copper to therapeutic levels over the span of 5-7 days. Add an aerator as well.

I use chelated copper and always dose in the mornings so I can monitor the ramp up effects on the fish rather than dosing at night and praying the fish is still alive when I wake up.

Removing the sand and rock can also help maintain stable copper levels.

I agree. Do a large water change and run carbon to get the copper out. Once they start behaving normally and eating slowly raise it again.
Also remember you can NOT use any ammonia reducers like prime or amquel with copper.

OP
OP
Rocklin Mike

Rocklin Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in case anyone is pining to know what happened with the blue tang, she is now in the DT and thriving. I followed the advice given, ran carbon, very large water change. It took about a week for her to fully regain composure...it was hit n miss there for a while. As soon as she started eating again, i gave another week and made the move. Thanks to everyone that helped with advice, i feel fortunate to have won this battle.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in case anyone is pining to know what happened with the blue tang, she is now in the DT and thriving. I followed the advice given, ran carbon, very large water change. It took about a week for her to fully regain composure...it was hit n miss there for a while. As soon as she started eating again, i gave another week and made the move. Thanks to everyone that helped with advice, i feel fortunate to have won this battle.
Glad to hear it! Good deal! Job well done.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 41.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 11 17.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back