QT with Fritz Coppersafe

bgilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gal qt and dosed with fritz coppersafe last night to help with ich. It says for 4 gallons use 5ml. I did roughly 12ml.

Questions are when do I do a water change? And how much do I put back in the water to keep that measurement.

I saw something about ppm being at 2 but nothing that explained whats at 2ppm or how to test it?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to test it is with a test kit. Hanna or salifert both make reliable copper testers.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a 10 gal qt and dosed with fritz coppersafe last night to help with ich. It says for 4 gallons use 5ml. I did roughly 12ml.

Questions are when do I do a water change? And how much do I put back in the water to keep that measurement.

I saw something about ppm being at 2 but nothing that explained whats at 2ppm or how to test it?
Roughly does not have value as copper at high levels become a poison. You have to monitor up front as its easier to add copper than to remove it. Also applies is useable gallons as with tube and pipes, 10 gal becomes 9 gals as a basis.
Safe treatment level is 2.25-2.5. Wit a water change, you will test QT water and mix new water at a level to match it.
Example: If QT tank is 2.4 level- you will mix new water and have copper at 2.4-2.45 to add to QT

OP
OP
bgilson

bgilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roughly does not have value as copper at high levels become a poison. You have to monitor up front as its easier to add copper than to remove it. Also applies is useable gallons as with tube and pipes, 10 gal becomes 9 gals as a basis.
Safe treatment level is 2.25-2.5. Wit a water change, you will test QT water and mix new water at a level to match it.
Example: If QT tank is 2.4 level- you will mix new water and have copper at 2.4-2.45 to add to QT
Ok ty

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You might have dosed a bit too high. Most ten gallon tanks, when in operation, hold 8.2 net gallons of water.

Jay

OP
OP
bgilson

bgilson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might have dosed a bit too high. Most ten gallon tanks, when in operation, hold 8.2 net gallons of water.

Jay
What would be a feasible checker. I really am not trying to drop $70 for a hanna checker lol.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be a feasible checker. I really am not trying to drop $70 for a hanna checker lol.
There are not a lot of options. Many of the copper tests (the Seachem for example) are low range, so will not work with coppersafe or copper power. The API test is accurate when I read the color change on a spectrophotometer, but the human eye has a LOT of difficulty reading that test. Here is a thread on using the API kit:

Jay

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it sucks to drop 70 dollar on a checker, but the hanna copper checker really is great. They hold their value so if you really decide you dont want it, theyre easy to sell.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back