Quantum HR nitrate remover

CornishCrustyCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little background on my tank

Tanks always been high nitrates and over the past year its gone slowly from 10ppm to 100.

Phosphates were always around 1 but after using gfo that's now down to 0.1

So I recently replaced the return pump and when I put the new faster and larger pump on lots of decaying old food was blasted out. Must have been in the pipework.
So I assume that's where the problem was and why it was rising, also added a new skimmer as old one was getting less productive.

So nitrates still high I started to dose quantum nitrate remover, I imagine it's the same as nopox. I followed the instructions and probably 12 hours after first dose my waters cloudy. Not to the point I can't see through the water just to the point I could notice it. Second dose tonight and it's gone more cloudy. I can see it coming out of my drain and getting sucked into the skimmer which is good I've have a lot of surface movement and fish look fine.

Could it just be it binding to the nitrate. Should I reduce the amount I put in. Currently 6ml to every 100ltrs as directed if the tank has higher than 60ppm Nitrates.

I've set the skimmer to really wet as I want it to pull as much out as possible. Should I do a water change now or wait 3 more days for my normal schedule.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As HR Nitrate Remover is a carbon source you may be seeing a cloudy white bacterial bloom. This is typically harmless as long as your tank water is well aerated as the bacteria can quickly consume oxygen.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd slow down dosing, but that's just me...not sure what the product directions are.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 37 34.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back