Quarantine Advice

mprego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dilemma- I have two Clowns in DT with suspected brook and I have two pre-quarantined fish arriving tomorrow from Dr. Reef.

Here are my options best I can think:

1 - Move clowns to QT and treat for brook and put new stock in DT and hope they’re ok.

2 - leave clowns in DT and treat and put new stock in QT until clowns clear up

3 - put clowns and new stock in QT tank and treat them all for brook even though I know the new stock is ok and let DT fallow for 6 weeks as recommended.

New to this so I’m sure I’m missing something, any help/thoughts/advice is appreciated

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a cheap simple starter tank to house the new fish. No need to expose them. Treat the clowns in your QT tank. Your display will need to go fallow or you will be pulling your hair out.

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting the new fish in the DT, even if you move the clowns out now, will expose them to brook, and IME fish fresh out of medication are going to be more susceptible to picking up a known infection not less. There is nothing you can do between now and tomorrow to prepare the DT for them. I personally see no reason to re-treat the shipped fish and stress them out even more; if you have a QT tank already running that's fallow stick them in there. You will have to setup another QT for the clowns if you have inverts in the DT but, they are clowns, they don't need a big QT setup.

Your other option if you don't have the QT setup is to call your LFS and see how much you can get for the shipped fish and recover some cost, then wait until you've treated the clowns to re-order.

OP
OP
M

mprego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get a cheap simple starter tank to house the new fish. No need to expose them. Treat the clowns in your QT tank. Your display will need to go fallow or you will be pulling your hair out.
Thanks for the advice!! My plan is to place new stock in the QT and get another 10 gallon tank to medicate/QT the clownfish.

Question - I probably shouldn’t use a piece of rock from my DT to instacycle either of the QT’s meaning I will have to buy some bacteria in bottle and Amquel and basically do a fish in cycle with both QT’s?

OP
OP
M

mprego

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting the new fish in the DT, even if you move the clowns out now, will expose them to brook, and IME fish fresh out of medication are going to be more susceptible to picking up a known infection not less. There is nothing you can do between now and tomorrow to prepare the DT for them. I personally see no reason to re-treat the shipped fish and stress them out even more; if you have a QT tank already running that's fallow stick them in there. You will have to setup another QT for the clowns if you have inverts in the DT but, they are clowns, they don't need a big QT setup.

Your other option if you don't have the QT setup is to call your LFS and see how much you can get for the shipped fish and recover some cost, then wait until you've treated the clowns to re-order.
Thanks for the advice!! My plan is to place new stock in the QT and get another 10 gallon tank to medicate/QT the clownfish.

Question - I probably shouldn’t use a piece of rock from my DT to instacycle either of the QT’s meaning I will have to buy some bacteria in bottle and Amquel and basically do a fish in cycle with both QT’s?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back