Quarantine frag tank?

Neuratox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I hit my first major obstacle in reefing after two years in the hobby. Long story short, I think I got a bacterial or viral pathogen that is targeting my acropora almost exclusively. This was after examination using microscopy and treatment for different pests just to be safe after several weeks of struggling to find an answer (parameters were dang near perfect too). In either case, I tried to start a small tank where I put a few frags of most of my "colonies" to see if I could salvage something after all this. I put them in a 7 gallon, kept a close eye on water, toping of twice a day to prevent major swings, but rarely was there much evaporation. After a week I decided it wasn't worth it. Many of the frags began to undergo RTN where I'd find an entire inch long segment of a frag devoid of any flesh within a 24 hour period of time. Others slowly turned white but not through STN or RTN. I was obviously doing something wrong because the other "canary corals" that I put in to alert me of any issues started to go south as well.

Given that I accepted 4 new corals from a trade and bout two from the store a month before I started to see signs of decline in my otherwise flourishing DT I can only assume I brought something in via those corals. Whether it was those or another, it came from somewhere. If I had a coral QT tank that may have prevented this, so.....

How do you set up a coral QT tank? There are a few posts on here about it, but much of what I'm seeing is essentially set up a second display tank fish and all that is only for incoming coral. This is beyond ridiculous. The cost of setting up and maintaining a single tank is no trivial matter, setting up a second isn't always a possibility given space and spousal happiness :p.
How can I set up a separate system that is only used occasionally or for a few frags at a time for a reasonable cost and taking up minimal space?

Thanks for your time and input!

coralbeauties

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
a simple 5 or 10 gallon tank with a heater and power head should work fine. Buy a cheap black box led light for it. When I receive new corals I set up a little tank with my main systems water. I then daily remove a gallon or so of water and replace it with fresh water from my main system. I wont dip my new corals for several days after I receive them to allow them some time to settle in before subjecting them to any harsh dips.
Jeff

Back