Quarantine inverts and corals ? Who supports this

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
I successfully quarantined my fish tanks for 76 days and had copper treatment. Since September 25 no issues arises with white dots on blue hippo , powder browns etc

I’m thinking now in the future if adding coral and inverts if 76 days is standard quarantine for them as well.

Please share your input reefers

Thank You

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was 60 days at 81? Or 60 days at 80 and 45 days at 81?
Dont sps not like 81F ?

I don't think its an issue with sps at 81F but you can always do cooler. I base my timline on jay hemdal's fish guide.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that written up somewhere here on R2R or is it an actual publication?

Its Jay Hemdal's quarantine guide on this website. Jay is the main resident disease expert on the forum. He does 30 days copper with the fish and then prazi followed by observation. My qt for inverts is based around the fallow period needed for a reef tank when there is a disease like marine ich in it. @Jay Hemdal or @MnFish1 could probably comment more on the invert QT as the link below is for fish

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was 60 days at 81? Or 60 days at 80 and 45 days at 81?
Dont sps not like 81F ?
45 days at 81F is the minimum; 60 days at 81F or somewhat cooler is what Jay has been recommending for most tanks these days. The cooler the temperature, the longer you should wait to be safe (76 days being the traditional recommendation that I've seen here on R2R):
The timing ranges from 45 days at above 81 degrees to 76 days at room temperature. I have lately been suggesting 60 days for most reef tanks.
Jay
From what I've been able to find, ~83F is considered the max safe temp for just corals long term (some can handle hotter, but not all, and there are a lot of variables that go into determining how high of a temperature a coral can handle - see the quote below). That said, if your corals have been sitting at a super steady temp (such as 76F, for example) for years, then suddenly cranking the temp up to 81F may stress them out.
I’ve been reading through a bit of literature on corals and temperatures, and - generally speaking - 83F is considered the safe limit you don’t want to go beyond, so some people might recommend not going above 82 as a precaution.
Edit: when accounting for the slight inaccuracies of our heaters/controllers, I personally would set 82F as the limit.

That said, though, there are a number of caveats that determine what temperature is too high. To list a few:
1) the location the coral was collected from (some coral reefs have higher temperature tolerances based on their geography than others - 83F [technically like 83.6F or so] is the limit for the least heat resistant reefs, if I recall correctly; I believe somewhere around 87-89F was the limit for the most heat resistant).
2 ) temperature stability (the more stable the temperature the coral is used to, the less it’ll like changes to temperature).
3) how long the coral has to acclimate to the higher temperature (slow and steady wins the race).
4) corals can handle temperatures above their temperature limit for a limited amount of time (if the temperature is only slightly over, the corals only start showing distress/begin bleaching after a few days [four days at 1-2F over, if I recall correctly]; if the temperature is significantly above the limit, the corals will show distress/bleaching within hours).

So, as Tamberav and a few others I’ve seen here on the forums can attest, 86 may not be too hot, but - personally- if you’re going to run a tank that hot I’d take things nice and slow (likely ramping up over the course of a month or two) to get the corals there as a precaution.

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. Ya it sounds like that’s the guide I used as well without remembering the specifics. I’m running 81F for 60 days at the moment in my coral QT, but was curious if I was over doing it and could get away with 45 days. But now reading the sources back I remember why I went with 60 days.

Sigh. Having a bit of a hard time with my QT and SPS but that’s likely due to the tank being new-ish. So was hoping to get them out of there sooner… but sounds like I’ll keep on the 60 day trajectory.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok cool. Ya it sounds like that’s the guide I used as well without remembering the specifics. I’m running 81F for 60 days at the moment in my coral QT, but was curious if I was over doing it and could get away with 45 days. But now reading the sources back I remember why I went with 60 days.

Sigh. Having a bit of a hard time with my QT and SPS but that’s likely due to the tank being new-ish. So was hoping to get them out of there sooner… but sounds like I’ll keep on the 60 day trajectory.

Don't forget to feed the coral QT. I prefer something like vitachem marine and baby brine shrimp

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I just realized this after reading everyones helpful R2R posts. The corals in QT started looking better (I think) after starting to dose RedSea AB+

I am not sure if AB+ has phosphate (if it does, it is very little), so just make sure to double check that every now and then.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back