Quarantine service? Would you pay?

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Say you are the type who likes to buy stuff and flop it in your tank, only to find some type of infestation or disease present days later?

Or maybe you are just so busy you do not have time to set up a quarantine tank?

If a service was offered at extra cost or by a 3rd party, would you pay for it rather than skip the quarantine procedure?

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of us already do. LA Divers Den and Nicewrasse both hold and condition fish before being offered.

deuce

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already do a fish store in Findlay Ohio Changing Tide Aquatics they hold everything for two weeks before they hit the display tanks

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the cost and how liability would work out if the fish died during quarantine.

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a couple places I get fish from that QT fish before shipping which sticks because they say "goldflake angel in stock" however in QT for 6 weeks...LOL

Palting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not me. No way, Jose. Had a bad experience that way. I bought 11 fish total over a period of several months. All were "observed" at the LFS for at least 2 weeks and deemed healthy for sale and immediate DT placement. Sure they were. Right. 3 months after the last fish was added, Ich showed up in the purple tang. Ich spots would come and go on several fish, tank was good and stable otherwise. All fish otherwise looked good, eating and swimming. However, I worried that one day I would add a reall expensive fish to the tank, and it would die, foul the tank and kill everything else.

So I treated them all. Hyposalinity in a large QT for all 11 fish, fallow tank for 8 weeks. It worked!

Now, when and if I buy fish, they all go into QT AND get hyposalinity for 6 weeks. Coral get dipped, and if they are on a large piece of rock are observed in a fishless QT for 6 weeks. Then and only then do they go into my clean and Ich free DT. The only one I trust to do QT and HT is me. Not some LFS or LFS employee.

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish someone had that service around here. I travel for work, and qt can be demanding for my wife to manage

mattgreene22

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to know fish are treated profilactially and not just observed. I've bought online based on that service having already been done, and avoided shops who don't do anything of the sort.

Around DC we have some LFS that are pretty good. One has a very good program, another a good program...and those are the ones I look to most. There is also an upstart LFS implementing a a quarantine service where you pay an extra amount based on the cost of the fish. If the fish dies in QT (3 weeks min), then they replace it. If the second one dies, then you pay the QT fees (for both fish) and the LFS eats the cost of the fish. They don't treat profilactically, just observe and treat as needed. I'm not really a fan of this program...if they don't feel confident selling me the fish under normal operating conditions then I don't know I really trust their sources or normal procedures for handling. I do like that LFS, good people. I just prefer knowing it's already done and the price is the price is the price. Otherwise, why wouldn't I just roll the dice on the best bargain and do all the quarantine and treatement myself.

aquamn1999

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I would pay extra but would probably quarantine the fish anyway. Once you loose a display tank to ich you will not take chances.

zoechance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% YES! Aaron from SPS Coral store gratiously did this for me for a pair of fish from Live aquaria and Scott from Unique corals has agreed to do this for me for a pair of captive bred ocellaris from reefgen. I think a QT and medicating fish is way above my capabilities as a reefer (eventhough I am a physician LOL...) and I have guilt that i might have killed fish that (possibly) might have otherwise survived ICH because I messed up cupramine treatment in a hospital tank....

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a store here in Columbus that was telling me they are in the process of breaking down their 500 Gallon display tank in the back to make room for a full QT system. All fish will sit for a min of 30 days before they go into the tanks for sale. I admire them willing to break down a tank of beauty to help with healthy fish.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would pay for that service. I have bought from LA just for that reason.

Railcar79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I would pay for that service. I have bought from LA just for that reason.

You do know only the divers den is qt, all the regular web orders come from a Los Angeles warehouse (same one that supplies Petco)

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a question for those who say yes:

What do you do if the livestock was not fully cured of any problems by accident, say a new employee forgets the copper part of copper treatment?

Would you expect a reimbursement of any livestock you may have lost in the process?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back