Quarantine tank question

Traderdan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just set up my first quarantine tank for some new arrivals yesterday. What do I do about the food they don't eat? I know I could siphon it out, but that seems like it would get old to do everyday. I just don't want to have an ammonia outbreak.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just set up my first quarantine tank for some new arrivals yesterday. What do I do about the food they don't eat? I know I could siphon it out, but that seems like it would get old to do everyday. I just don't want to have an ammonia outbreak.
keep stirring the water and the hob should pull it out. a bit of floss under the sponge will help.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to siphon the food out if you don't want ammonia building up. The HOB may take it out of the water but it's still in the system breaking down. Assuming this isn't an established system with plenty of bacteria to handle that break down of food and the poo from the fish, then you'll want to remove it until the biofilter can handle all of it.

OP
OP
T

Traderdan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had emptied the sponge and carbon from the hob and filled it with FILter floss. For bacteria I took a live rock out of my sump and put it quarantine tank. I know it will ruin the rock but it was an extra anyways. So maybe put a small powerhead in there and run it for part of the day?

Last edited:

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had emptied the sponge and carbon from the hob and filled it with FILter floss. For batteries I took a live rock out of my sump and put it quarantine tank. I know it will ruin the rock but it was an extra anyways. So maybe put a small powerhead in there and run it for part of the day?

I would run the powerhead all the time if you are going to use it. It will help add oxygen to the water when meds are present. I would also take out the rock before adding any meds. It will absorb meds like copper making it more difficult to treat.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to siphon the food out if you don't want ammonia building up. The HOB may take it out of the water but it's still in the system breaking down. Assuming this isn't an established system with plenty of bacteria to handle that break down of food and the poo from the fish, then you'll want to remove it until the biofilter can handle all of it.
yes. you have to clean the filter.

I had emptied the sponge and carbon from the hob and filled it with FILter floss. For batteries I took a live rock out of my sump and put it quarantine tank. I know it will ruin the rock but it was an extra anyways. So maybe put a small powerhead in there and run it for part of the day?
I have always run the stock aquaclear. From the top down I run, sponge, 1 2in x 4in floss and bag of carbon.
the floss catches most off the poo and food, and i scrub wash replace that. the sponge generally doesn't get that dirty so i squeeze it out in ro or the old tank water to keep the bacteria. the bag of carbon pulls yucy out and also is another bacteria home, so i loosely swish it in ro or the old tank water. If i use the supplied media for the hob i treat it the same way as the carbon in a small bag at the bottom..
this will allow the bacteria in the hob to build up.

and yes many many people recommend live rock in the qt to make it stable. it is the fastest way to do so. imo.

Back