Converting Quarantine tank

Mizu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, Happy Memorial Day weekend!

So I decided I'm going to set up a small quarantine tank, about 10 gallons and I have a few questions:

1. I have two BIO-bricks in my main tank (it's almost done cycling) , can I put those in my quarantine tank and the tank will skip the cycle? (I can also use water from my main tank the next time I do a water change)

2. What equipment do I need in the quarantine tank, and to add to that question, I'm only planning to get around 6 fish and then the quarantine tank won't be needed. I'd like to convert the quarantine tank into a home for two clown fish, I figured it might be best to just get the equipment they need now rather than buying stuff twice. For example would the 10 gallon tank need a return pump? Or is just the light/filter/heater enough?

thesoulpatch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as no copper is added you'd be fine to reuse, if it's a 10 gallon maybe a hob filter would help with movement.

OP
OP
Mizu

Mizu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I was just going to get the Aqueon 10 gallon tank and put a hang on back filter with a Heater and light

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's just for fish, no light needed, all I use my QT for is treating for parasites. I do a complete teardown and clean every 3 days. I just use a Bubble stone stuck in some foam for movement and gas exchange. Thrown in something that can be completely cleaned like PVC tubing for them to hide in

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only planning to get around 6 fish and then the quarantine tank won't be needed.
When one or more of the fish get sick or need isolating for whatever reason, a tank will be needed. When one or more of the fish die (from illness, aggression, old age, etc) if the new fish are to be QTed then a tank will be needed. Just things to consider.

I have a Fluval 106 canister and a Tunze 9004 skimmer (as well as an ATO) on my 10g QT. Works well. Considering a QT is a very unstable system (small water volume, large periodic variations in bioload) that needs to be stable (fish are at a low point in their lives, and possibly will be dosed with medication that hinders normal processes), I think optimizing filtration and nutrient export is critical.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 84 45.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.1%
Back