Quarantine Tank Questions

Riggins76

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my current tank (tank build here) and I am wanting to start a QT tank for obvious reasons. I have a 10 gallon tank and I have a list of questions below that I hope someone can help me with:

1. I have my sponge filter in my display tank which has all my fish in it currently and the sponge filter has been in the tank since day one. I guess you could say I am "seeding" (please let me know if this is not the correct terminology) the sponge. My question is I assume that the sponge is fully cycled so can I just put it in the new 10 gallon tank, and that tank is pretty much cycled?
2. Do I need to use some of the current water in the DT for the the QT tank? Seems like I shouldn't have to but didn't know.
3. Does the 10 gallon QT tank need any type of excess filtration other than an air stone/sponge filter that I mentioned above? I assumed so but just thought I would ask. My plan is to have a TopFin HOB 40 gallon filter if I can get it working, otherwise I will just buy a new one if I must.
4. Is the tank instantly cycled? If not why not? I think this is probably the most confusing thing to me in the overall aquarium hobby so if it is a dumb question I apologize.
5. Is 10 gallon QT tank ok for a couple of fish that will end up in my DT tank (37 gallon)?
6. Do I always need to treat the QT tank? Or just sometimes if I notice a problem with the incoming fish from the store?
7. How long does my QT tank stay cycled if there are no fish in there for a long time?
8. Do I have to always acclimate my fish to the QT tank if for example one of my DT fish get sick? I would assume so but just covering the basis.
9. Do I need to do water changes on the QT tank if there are no fish in the QT tank for a long time? seems like no but thought I would ask.

As of now those are the only questions I have but if I think of more I will edit this post to include. Any help is appreciated.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the answers:
  • Nitryfying bacteria grow on other surfaces, not only sponge, so although seeded sponge might be satisfactory, bacteria will colonize other surfaces with time
  • there is little nitryfying bacteria in water column, so there's little benefit of use DT water in QT tank
  • the more filtration, the better, but sponge should be enough for few small fish-do not use rock as it will absorb copper
  • it is ultimately your choice if you treat fish with medication or just observe them and is dependent on fish source and perhaps species and level of risk you can tolerate
  • if you decide to watch fish only, you should examin them regularly and be prepeared to instantenoustly start treatment if needed
  • you can ghost feed QT to mantain sizeable population of bacteria

Kmarshall168

Bearded Dude that likes things in water
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind some medications are not suited for a cycled tank but if you are settled on running a cycled tank make sure you research which medications will work in case a fish shows signs of a disease.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back