Setting up QT tank

jbonez_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to set up my QT, I have a spare 15g AIO that was given to me figured perfect tank to use for QT.

I've read you don't need to cycle a QT tank but have to really be on your game for water changes, how often would I be expected to do water changes if I didn't cycle it?

I currently have a fully cycled 20g AIO with filter media, could I just take the sponge filters and/or the carbon from my 20g and put it in my 15g to cycle the tank? Would a filter sock work?

Just looking for the correct and easier way to set up my QT.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to set up my QT, I have a spare 15g AIO that was given to me figured perfect tank to use for QT.

I've read you don't need to cycle a QT tank but have to really be on your game for water changes, how often would I be expected to do water changes if I didn't cycle it?

I currently have a fully cycled 20g AIO with filter media, could I just take the sponge filters and/or the carbon from my 20g and put it in my 15g to cycle the tank? Would a filter sock work?

Just looking for the correct and easier way to set up my QT.
Do NOT add carbon from a different system, this will do nothing good enough to be worth it. You can certainly add some bio media from the display into the QT filter. I personally wouldn’t be comfortable using an uncycled QT to house new and potential expensive livestock. If you go that route, with a tank that size, I think daily water changes are best practice. I’m not a QT expert so will also defer to others who have more experience with them.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get some biosponges or similar media that won't adsorb copper and dose an oversized bottle of either fritz turbo or biospira.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back