Quarantine tank treatments

mandzhalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank have started cycling and now I would like to setup my quarantine tank so I can put first 3 fishes in a month's time.I have 80 litre tank, 150w heater and hang on back filter, ammonia alert and some 4 inch PVC for fish to hide.
I would like to treat every fish coming to quarantine tank with short fresh water dip and "medicine" (copper?) in a tank.

Advice on podcast I have listened was to use amquel plus and copper power, but I can't get either in Ireland quickly.
Is there any alternatives from well known brands like seachem?

What do I put in water for a month I will quarantine fish in terms of "medicine" and water treatment?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My display tank have started cycling and now I would like to setup my quarantine tank so I can put first 3 fishes in a month's time.I have 80 litre tank, 150w heater and hang on back filter, ammonia alert and some 4 inch PVC for fish to hide.
I would like to treat every fish coming to quarantine tank with short fresh water dip and "medicine" (copper?) in a tank.

Advice on podcast I have listened was to use amquel plus and copper power, but I can't get either in Ireland quickly.

What do I put in water for a month I will quarantine fish in terms of "medicine" and water treatment?
I would use RODI water - thus you don't need Amquel.

The standard protocol is shown at the top of the thread. I'm not sure you need to (unless you want to) set up your tank 30 days in advance. If you want it cycled (I'm assuming") a bottled bacteria product such as Fritz 9000 can do this for you. A seachem alert badge can be used to monitor ammonia.

Normally you want to use 2.5 ppm copper (with copper power) via a good test kit. Most people recommend Hanna. You want to be sure that that level stays near 2.5 ppm for the entire QT time. i.e. when you do water changes, lets say you dump out 10 gallons (which presumably contains 2.5 ppm), add back 10 gallons of new water containing 2.5 ppm copper.

Generally the protocol is 30 days copper, then 2 doses Prazipro about 7 days apart, followed by a 2 week observation protocol with no medication.

Again - please read the whole protocol for the complete details. If you decide to wait 30 days before adding fish, there is no rush to adding copper now. I.e. you should be able to order it before then? (I see it is available on amazon - and can be shipped to ireland)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mandzhalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use RODI water - thus you don't need Ampule.

The standard protocol is shown at the top of the treat. I'm not sure you need to (unless you want to) set up your tank 30 days in advance. If you want it cycled (I'm assuming") a bottled bacteria product such as Fritz 9000 can do this for you. A seachem alert badge can be used to monitor ammonia.

Normally you want to use 2.5 ppm copper (with copper power) via a good test kit. Most people recommend Hanna. You want to be sure that that level stays near there for the entire QT time. i.e. when you do water changes, lets say you dump out 10 gallons (which presumably contains 2.5 ppm), add back 10 gallons of new water containing 2.5 ppm.

Generally the protocol is 30 days copper, then 2 doses Prazipro about 7 days apart, followed by a 2 week observation protocol with no medication.

Again - please read the whole protocol for the complete details. If you decide to wait 30 days before adding fish, there is no rush to adding copper now. I.e. you should be able to order it before then? (I see it is available on amazon - and can be shipped to ireland)
Thanks.Regards 30 days, what I meant is that fishes will go in quarantine for a month or so before can be released to display

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks.Regards 30 days, what I meant is that fishes will go in quarantine for a month or so before can be released to display
OH - yes that sounds correct - though the protocol above is longer than 30 days

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First thing - make sure the tank is fully cycled - you don't want to deal with ammonia issues at the same time you are running a quarantine process.

Seachem makes Cupramine, that is a bit harsher than coppersafe/copper power, but many people use it.

Here is our basic quarantine protocol:

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 27 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.8%
Back