Quarantine Tank

henryriesett

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 18, 2024
Messages
100
Reaction score
21
Location
Eldersburg
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help with a quarantine tank. One of my fish I just bought I believe has an infection (will post about that later), and I do have a 15 gallon tank to set up. My questions are do I fill up that tank with some of dt water? Will the ammonia spike in that, or will I be fine because there is beneficial bacteria in dt? Do I only put visibly infected fish in qt, since I can’t treat dt from what I’ve read because of coral and inverts? Any help will be great, thank you.
 
Water contains little bacteria so not much ammonia help.
You can either put in a seasoned rock or use daily water changes to keep ammonia from increasing.

Treatment depends to a big extent on what it is your trying to correct.

You cannot treat the DT effectively, there are potions people use but no science showing effective.

My QT is super simple.
IMG_0153.jpeg
 
Water contains little bacteria so not much ammonia help.
You can either put in a seasoned rock or use daily water changes to keep ammonia from increasing.

Treatment depends to a big extent on what it is your trying to correct.

You cannot treat the DT effectively, there are potions people use but no science showing effective.

My QT is super simple.
IMG_0153.jpeg
So should I not put any water from dt into the qt?
 
I'm going to experiment with advanced oxidation process for QT as a means of converting ammonia to nitrates although no clue how that would work with medications therefore going to test that as well. Hope is to feed peroxide in such a fashion that all water constantly processed by UV-C thereby also sanitizing any free swimming pathogens.

Problem with QT and nitrification being where medication used that would wipe out the bacteria and constant water changes can be problematic and I believe further stressful. Plus I believe in heavy feeding to build up natural defenses and health which doesn't correlate with keeping a small footprint as to biomass waste.

Seachem Ammonia Alert helps keep an eye on toxic levels forming. WC likely the only proven solution but I'm hoping to solve that.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new