Quarantining fish and not coral or inverts

Tyler Flynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is (and i hope @Humblefish chimes in), am i wasting my time properly quarantining my fish if i do not quarantine inverts, And only coral dip and peroxide corals?

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is (and i hope @Humblefish chimes in), am i wasting my time properly quarantining my fish if i do not quarantine inverts, And only coral dip and peroxide corals?
Tbh there is always a higher risk by not QT everything wet that goes into the system. But then again its not very realistic for the average reef keeper to run so many systems. I have never ran QT for inverts and corals and have had ich get into the my system due to that. Ive gone fallow 3 times now but wont buy more coral or inverts so there should be 0 risk. The chance is much lower but still there.

daybreaksky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you don't know for a fact that the corals and inverts didn't occupy the same water as a fish in the past 74 days then you are risking exposure and it all depends on your risk tolerance from there.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is all about risk tolerance. Fish are the most obvious vector. I personally do not QT corals for 76 days. I dip and scrub with a toothbrush. Not perfect, but it has worked for me.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with those who have already posted. Best practice is to QT everything that goes in your tank. However, many reefers qt fish only (since fish are most likely to be carriers of disease/parasites that can infect other fish... risk from inverts is less, but not null). It all depends on how much risk you're willing to take.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back