Does hydrogen peroxide kill ich tomonts on frags?

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got ich/velvet so planning 90 day fallow. I'm fine with QT fishes and inverts but think I can't be patient enough for qt for coral frag swaps. Hydrogen peroxide has been used as coral dips for algae so I am wondering anyone used it to bypass frag quarantine assuming the chemically violent free radicals will kill the tomonts cysts. Cheers!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just got ich/velvet so planning 90 day fallow. I'm fine with QT fishes and inverts but think I can't be patient enough for qt for coral frag swaps. Hydrogen peroxide has been used as coral dips for algae so I am wondering anyone used it to bypass frag quarantine assuming the chemically violent free radicals will kill the tomonts cysts. Cheers!
It’s often used as a shortcut and rarely works. In a tank, it serves as an oxidizer and was once in medical use an antiseptic
I don’t see it as any advantage

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It hasn’t been fully tested, so anyone’s guess I suppose. I think there are more issues than just ich that can be on a frag, Neobenedenia eggs for example. I know peroxide won’t kill those, at least not at levels that won’t also nuke the coral.

I prefer holding all new corals/inverts in a fishless system for 30 days - that always works for me. This also helps to weed out coral pests. I do understand that most folks don’t have a frag tray to do that in though.

If the frags came from a fishless system, then there is little worry - I wish more dealers would isolate their invertebrates.

Jay

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wondered why all the coral stores I visit have fish in their systems. Is it pest and algae control? I do have a frag QT but it just annoys me.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just leave your coral in the display while you run it fallow?

Edit: I see you're talking about future additions

Last edited:

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The jury's out on whether or not h202 kills the parasite, so anyone who tells you that it does or doesn't is simply lying or thinks they're special. #coppersafe I can say that I've used it countless times over the years as a dip NO but to treat systems infected with what appeared to be great results. Unfortunately your question can not be correctly answered?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wondered why all the coral stores I visit have fish in their systems. Is it pest and algae control? I do have a frag QT but it just annoys me.
Pest algae control usually, but I know of at least one store who puts their sick fish in their coral trays to give them a “better environment” - crazy!

Jay

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS went fishless in their coral tanks about 3 months ago - was talking to them about it and basically it’s more work for algae control but they believe it gives them an edge over local competition as many folks don’t want to deal with the hassle of waiting a month+ before putting corals in their tank and having to run a separate frag system.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The jury's out on whether or not h202 kills the parasite, so anyone who tells you that it does or doesn't is simply lying or thinks they're special. #coppersafe I can say that I've used it countless times over the years as a dip NO but to treat systems infected with what appeared to be great results. Unfortunately your question can not be correctly answered?
H2O2 kills the parasite - the OP is talking about a dip for coral. HOWEVER, the issue is whether the levels required to kill the parasite reliably are high enough to kill whatever you're dipping. Especially encysted as compared to free swimming parasites. You cannot use copper safe or hypo salinity to dip coral. I believe that @vetteguy53081 misread the question. I'm sure he will weigh in.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
H2O2 kills the parasite - the OP is talking about a dip for coral. HOWEVER, the issue is whether the levels required to kill the parasite reliably are high enough to kill whatever you're dipping. Especially encysted as compared to free swimming parasites. You cannot use copper safe or hypo salinity to dip coral. I believe that @vetteguy53081 misread the question. I'm sure he will weigh in.
He already weighed in by insulting UMALUM and I... guess the mods took care of it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He already weighed in by insulting UMALUM and I... guess the mods took care of it.
I'm not sure what you're referring to, sorry. Just to be clear - I was giving an answer to the OP - which is - I do not think you can use an H2O2 dip to kill encysted CI. I don't think anyone here was trying to be 'lying'....

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you're referring to, sorry. Just to be clear - I was giving an answer to the OP - which is - I do not think you can use an H2O2 dip to kill encysted CI. I don't think anyone here was trying to be 'lying'....
I never said anyone lied

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I never said anyone lied
I was referring to this - and I never said you lied.... You lumped your comment together with another poster who said:

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only effective method imho is uv sterilization tuned to a set flow to make the Protozoa in the tank sterile it doesn’t kill them but stops their life cycle. Other than that there is chemicals like ich x that are not coral safe.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only effective method imho is uv sterilization tuned to a set flow to make the Protozoa in the tank sterile it doesn’t kill them but stops their life cycle. Other than that there is chemicals like ich x that are not coral safe.
That's a brave thing to say :)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think this is an untrue statement

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 69 41.3%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 24 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.0%
Back