Quarantining Macroalgae

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longer you quarantine the lesser the risk.

I've found this thread on the forum for reference :
quarantining Macroalgea
Macroalgea quarantine

To be honest : I just look at it and then put it in my tank, but I get mine from lfs that I trust
Just look for hitchhikers etc.
Also a freshwater dip should be fine, but always dubble check :p

Last edited:

formallydehyde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I've ordered from them the macroalgae was high quality but inevitably contained some amount of hitchhikers, particularly with rooted algae like Penicillus, so if possible it's probably a good idea unless you need it immediately. I've also been a lot of species of macros in ReVive coral dip without any ill effects (just be sure to dip again in new salt water before putting into any tank containing livestock, even a QT tank), which might reduce the chance of introducing pests as long as you're fine with potentially killing beneficial invert hitchhikers. How long I guess would depend on what specific things you're concerned with.

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I've ordered from them the macroalgae was high quality but inevitably contained some amount of hitchhikers, particularly with rooted algae like Penicillus, so if possible it's probably a good idea unless you need it immediately. I've also been a lot of species of macros in ReVive coral dip without any ill effects (just be sure to dip again in new salt water before putting into any tank containing livestock, even a QT tank), which might reduce the chance of introducing pests as long as you're fine with potentially killing beneficial invert hitchhikers. How long I guess would depend on what specific things you're concerned with.

I've also read about people using copper and stuff. But it all depends on how far you are willing to go. I dont own big tanks so if I am having a problem its much easier to fix.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back