Quarantinte Tank questions

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

Looking at setting up a quarantine tank in my garage, just wondering what is ciritical to have on these?

ATO?
Skimmer?
Lights?
Filter? - Is a simple HOB sponge filter enough?

Pics of your set ups would be great!
Thanks

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all

Looking at setting up a quarantine tank in my garage, just wondering what is ciritical to have on these?

ATO?
Skimmer?
Lights?
Filter? - Is a simple HOB sponge filter enough?

Pics of your set ups would be great!
Thanks
What type of quarantine are you planning on doing? Medicated or observation?

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some will say I am an idiot, they won't be wrong, but I do like sand and LR in my quarantine. I think it makes the fish feel more at home. Many of our fish are wild caught so, it's a nice transition for them before they make it to the DT.... Granted, I am keeping it for a long time until I am done slowly stocking. If you are looking for a short-term tank, I probably wouldn't bother. But use some ceramic media in the tank instead of carbon pads since you will have to take those out once you start dosing.

Last edited:

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
BRS did a quarantine video with Elliot from Marine Collectors. That’s a good option to consider.

Jay here on R2R also has a good one…

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a qt, all you need is a simple hang on back filter, heater, and pvc pipes for fish to hide in. A sponge filter can also be used for extra bio filtration and aeration. Lights aren’t necessary but can make observation easier. Generally you don’t want to use sand or rock as it absorbs medicine (namely copper), making dosing very difficult.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a qt, all you need is a simple hang on back filter, heater, and pvc pipes for fish to hide in. A sponge filter can also be used for extra bio filtration and aeration. Lights aren’t necessary but can make observation easier. Generally you don’t want to use sand or rock as it absorbs medicine (namely copper), making dosing very difficult.
Agree, no sand or rock or ceramic media. These all absorb medications and mess up the levels. I use a submersible filter and heater, a place or 2 for fish to hide and plastic bio balls in my filter. You can put new bio balls in your main tank sump in preparation of a qt.

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming this thread is for fish QTing. Like others have said, even though you are starting with observatory QTing you don't want to have to pull out all of that sand and LR when it comes time to start a copper treatment. Big PITA. Tank, heater, HOB filter, and some places for the fish to hide/sleep (PVC Pipes). Also get yourself an ammonia badge. Don't rely on it, but it can be life saving in a pinch. No skimmer or light is needed, but you could add a light if the one in your room isn't well lit. Anything will work. GL!

Back