OP
OP
Quartapound

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: Woke up this morning and noticed my tank was cloudy (in my tank this usually means an anemone has had a close encounter with my pump).

I go downstairs to check my frag tank/anemone quarantine zone... I had completely rearranged this area last night... (in the frag tank) I took all the rock, and the powerheads, put them into into a small area I had sectioned off from the rest of the tank with 2 pieces of overlapping eggcrate (makes holes 1/4 the size)... before the anemones were in the small section, but kept escaping to the larger area (I didn't want them on the rocks/near pumps)... so I figured that's where they wanted to go, and swapped them...

there were 3 RTBA's anemone's in there last night.... 0 anemone's this morning. skimmer was going nuts.

I am officially DONE with anemones.

getting a big batch of RODI ready for a WC.

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update: Woke up this morning and noticed my tank was cloudy (in my tank this usually means an anemone has had a close encounter with my pump).

I go downstairs to check my frag tank/anemone quarantine zone... I had completely rearranged this area last night... (in the frag tank) I took all the rock, and the powerheads, put them into into a small area I had sectioned off from the rest of the tank with 2 pieces of overlapping eggcrate (makes holes 1/4 the size)... before the anemones were in the small section, but kept escaping to the larger area (I didn't want them on the rocks/near pumps)... so I figured that's where they wanted to go, and swapped them...

there were 3 RTBA's anemone's in there last night.... 0 anemone's this morning. skimmer was going nuts.

I am officially DONE with anemones.

getting a big batch of RODI ready for a WC.
That sucks man. Why dont you try and keep them in baskets in a frag tank?

OP
OP
Quartapound

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks man. Why dont you try and keep them in baskets in a frag tank?

Initially I did have them in baskets but they didn't seem to be happy, I would find them tumbling in the baskets every morning, didn't think that it was good for their health to be like that long term. Maybe I just needed different baskets

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially I did have them in baskets but they didn't seem to be happy, I would find them tumbling in the baskets every morning, didn't think that it was good for their health to be like that long term. Maybe I just needed different baskets
Gotcha. Maybe flow was too high?

OP
OP
Quartapound

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha. Maybe flow was too high?
That's possible, but I only had one powerhead in that tank and it wasn't very powerful, almost 2 feet away.

....I think I'm going to take a break with anemones for awhile anyways ;) I'm starting to concentrate on my SPS and those two definitely don't mix well!

joshkirkland83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's possible, but I only had one powerhead in that tank and it wasn't very powerful, almost 2 feet away.

....I think I'm going to take a break with anemones for awhile anyways ;) I'm starting to concentrate on my SPS and those two definitely don't mix well!
Gotcha bud. GL

OP
OP
Quartapound

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
latest FTS. starting to use RAW mode to correct whitebalance properly (should have done this a long time ago!!)

8Ri2B2o.jpg

OP
OP
Quartapound

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to admit, I REALLY want a real piece of macro glass... can't afford it.. soo I'm stuck using the "telescope" for now lol...
ZWr8mwv.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Quartapound

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick update :) ...The tank is starting to show some great results, SPS pieces I'd picked up in the past few months are colouring up well and really starting to take-off. Possible reasons for the recent growth spurt
  • tank has 'matured' again since it was moved this summer
  • new Doser keeping parameters rock steady (all dialed in, numbers exactly where I want them and holding)
  • started dosing amino acids (aquavitro fuel)
  • SPS has acclimated to my lighting/flow by now
Here's an example of some of my growth over the past 10 days

I cropped this from my November 29th FTS
3WA4lhc.jpg

exactly 10 days later (I took this picture a few minutes ago December 9th)
AFD32QI.jpg

Now, I know digitata is already a very fast grower, and I'm sure this doesn't look very impressive to the SPS nuts for whom it grows like wildfire, but I'm happy/excited to notice that much difference in only 10 days... I take it as a sign the tank's doing well :) :)

OP
OP
Quartapound

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
time for another update... a few "lazy" cell pics of my latest SPS additions

Strawberry Shortcake
ZYVcQ6u.jpg

Blue Tort
02u1aes.jpg

Red Planet
peYr5w5.jpg

OP
OP
Quartapound

Quartapound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for another update/full tank shot. Will try to do this once a month, it really does help you notice growth and changes in the tank that would otherwise be impossible to quantify, looking at it every day.

Lazy cellphone pic
HxKMo9T.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks good!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back