Queen Angelfish - how to get an appetite going? Help

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Queen Angelfish (adult 6~inches). She is in my fowler along with some other tangs, wrasse and copperband butterfly. She has been in the tank for a few days now and looks good. She has a healthy weight, no sign of disease, and good color. She is not being bullied too much. Just an occasional stare down and push from my powder blue tang who is much smaller.

I am trying to get her feeding. She doesn't look too interested in mysis shrimp but looks interested in the clams I use for feeding. However, she will only stare and inspect it - I haven't seen her actually take a bite. Anyone have a suggestion about a queens favorite food or how to get to eating?

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did she eat at the LFS or was she bought online? Adult large angels tend to do this. I’ve kept many queen angels. Got an 18” one raised from 5”. It’s not one of the large angels that’s difficult to get it to eat. A little more patience, give it some pellets, flakes, mysis, clam, seaweed. She will eat soon as long as she is healthy. It doesn’t sound like you have QT’ed her but it would be simple to treat since it’s a FOWRL.

OP
OP
LilsReefTank

LilsReefTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did she eat at the LFS or was she bought online? Adult large angels tend to do this. I’ve kept many queen angels. Got an 18” one raised from 5”. It’s not one of the large angels that’s difficult to get it to eat. A little more patience, give it some pellets, flakes, mysis, clam, seaweed. She will eat soon as long as she is healthy. It doesn’t sound like you have QT’ed her but it would be simple to treat since it’s a FOWRL.
18in!!!! Do you have a photo? That must be mesmerizing!!

I got her online. Yeah, I did not QT her - I treat the display tank if anything go bad. So far, it has been good.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little more patience, give it some pellets, flakes, mysis, clam, seaweed. She will eat soon as long as she is healthy.
This is good advice. It usually just takes a little bit of time for them to settle in. The last Holocanthus angel I added was the same way - plenty of weight on him but didn't eat for several days and when he started; he spit out the mysis for a day or so before eating with enthusiasm.

alprazo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raw oysters on the half shell or fresh fish roe if you can find some. I like shad roe.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
18in!!!! Do you have a photo? That must be mesmerizing!!

I got her online. Yeah, I did not QT her - I treat the display tank if anything go bad. So far, it has been good.
yeah @sc50964 we want a pic or better yet a video. always wanted a queen. sadly my 200/275 not quite big enough. :(

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah @sc50964 we want a pic or better yet a video. always wanted a queen. sadly my 200/275 not quite big enough. :(
Dussumieri is 20+”
Achilles is about 7”
Queen is 15 to 18” from head to streamer

Attachments

• IMG_0731.jpeg
    IMG_0731.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0730.jpeg
    IMG_0730.jpeg
    143.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0734.jpeg
    IMG_0734.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 66

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Queen Angelfish (adult 6~inches). She is in my fowler along with some other tangs, wrasse and copperband butterfly. She has been in the tank for a few days now and looks good. She has a healthy weight, no sign of disease, and good color. She is not being bullied too much. Just an occasional stare down and push from my powder blue tang who is much smaller.

I am trying to get her feeding. She doesn't look too interested in mysis shrimp but looks interested in the clams I use for feeding. However, she will only stare and inspect it - I haven't seen her actually take a bite. Anyone have a suggestion about a queens favorite food or how to get to eating?
I have a regal angel angel that I got to eat with reef frenzi, hikiri blood worms and marine angel food and clams. My girl LOVES clams. I de frost mine with garlic in the tank water and drop it in for her. She goes nuts! Maybe try those foods and the garlic with the clam if your queen angel looks at it with interest!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back