Question about 2 part Dosing

BrandonA702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding two part. I recently added my first corals to my system and my Alk (8) is staying where I want it with weekly water changes, however, I noticed this morning my Cal dropped to 380ppm. I try to keep it at 440ppm. I added the recommended amount of Part A (Cal, Mag, Stro mix) to equal out to 440ppm (I'm waiting 4 hours to retest), but I'd like to know if that is ok to do without adding the Part B (Alk)? I don't want to raise my Alk much higher. I am using Continnum Reef Sculpture until it runs out. TIA

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just test your magnesium as if this falls outside recommended then the Alk,Cal balance goes off.

A.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest with so many variations of dosing it’s not as easy to explain.

My experience is with @Randy Holmes-Farley 2 part which I dose in equal amounts currently 10ml/day Alk & 10ml/day Cal and I manually dose Mag as and when needed. From this recipe I know that if my Alk or Cal seem higher/lower than ‘My tanks’ normal then I first check the Mag before I action anything.

From my understanding if Mag is not stable then Alk or Cal will not balance. Also when Mag is increased/decreased it will effect Calcium level.

So, test Mag and go from there.

A.

OP
OP
BrandonA702

BrandonA702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest with so many variations of dosing it’s not as easy to explain.

My experience is with @Randy Holmes-Farley 2 part which I dose in equal amounts currently 10ml/day Alk & 10ml/day Cal and I manually dose Mag as and when needed. From this recipe I know that if my Alk or Cal seem higher/lower than ‘My tanks’ normal then I first check the Mag before I action anything.

From my understanding if Mag is not stable then Alk or Cal will not balance. Also when Mag is increased/decreased it will effect Calcium level.

So, test Mag and go from there.

A.

Ok I just tested Mag and it reads approx. 1275 per Salifert Test, Cal is now 460 and Alk is 8.5.. Do you think I should raise the mag at all or just leave it there. I am leaning on leaving it.
As I stated my Part A does have mag in it. I do have some pure magnesium as well that I could add.

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really have to look at the instructions for the CA/ALK/MG products you are using. The Randy/BRS 2-part is meant to be dosed 1-1 which is different than some others. The Red Sea AB is NOT dosed 1 for 1. In fact with testing I find I usually do not even come close to their “suggested” starting points but they also note that if you are testing - follow that. ALso include their 4-part “Trace colors” items.

The Continuum website says:

“For best results, measure the calcium concentration and add as required to maintain the concentration between 410 and 450 mg/L (ppm).“

So no need to be 1 for 1 with the alk.

OP
OP
BrandonA702

BrandonA702

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really have to look at the instructions for the CA/ALK/MG products you are using. The Randy/BRS 2-part is meant to be dosed 1-1 which is different than some others. The Red Sea AB is NOT dosed 1 for 1. In fact with testing I find I usually do not even come close to their “suggested” starting points but they also note that if you are testing - follow that. ALso include their 4-part “Trace colors” items.

The Continuum website says:

“For best results, measure the calcium concentration and add as required to maintain the concentration between 410 and 450 mg/L (ppm).“

So no need to be 1 for 1 with the alk.

Ok thank you, that is what I was wondering. I believe I have everything where it needs to be now. Added a little bit of put Mag to get that number up a little bit, Cal and Alk are now acceptable. Thank you all.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding two part. I recently added my first corals to my system and my Alk (8) is staying where I want it with weekly water changes, however, I noticed this morning my Cal dropped to 380ppm. I try to keep it at 440ppm. I added the recommended amount of Part A (Cal, Mag, Stro mix) to equal out to 440ppm (I'm waiting 4 hours to retest), but I'd like to know if that is ok to do without adding the Part B (Alk)? I don't want to raise my Alk much higher. I am using Continnum Reef Sculpture until it runs out. TIA

It's fine to do, but do not do it daily. You will just be chasing the test kit uncertainty.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back