Question about adding corals to display tank going through ugly phase

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank started with live rock that I trash can cycled. It then ran about two months with fish, but only indirect light through a window. I finally got the lights on so now it is starting the phase of brown crud growing on the rocks. The first batch of my coral will be completing the 76 day quarantine very soon. Should I wait until the crud disappears before adding in the coral and extend the quarantine?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display tank started with live rock that I trash can cycled. It then ran about two months with fish, but only indirect light through a window. I finally got the lights on so now it is starting the phase of brown crud growing on the rocks. The first batch of my coral will be completing the 76 day quarantine very soon. Should I wait until the crud disappears before adding in the coral and extend the quarantine?
I would. It would stink to lose your corals if they are overgrown by algae during your ugly stage. As long as your QT is stable I would leave them there until you get the crud under control.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back