Question about anemone death and dropped ORP

witchywoman725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 1am last night my ORP took a dive (I assume because an anemone in my tank started to die- it got itself stuck in a power head despite having guards and was pretty chewed up). When I woke up this morning the ORP was at 0. I removed the anemone, but now it seems my ORP is just sitting at 0. All my other parameters are within normal range (for my lps/softy tank) and all the other tank inhabitants and corals seem perfectly happy. Could the death of the anemone have caused this issue? I have not calibrated the ORP probe and I do not have the chemical on hand to do it. I know ORP probes are typically pretty useless if you don’t run ozone (which I do not). I guess my main concern is predicting a potential tank crash due to the anemone dying… thoughts?

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 17
Phosphate .04
Ph 8-8.06
Alk 9.28
Calc 462
Mg 1297

I run daily 10g AWCs and it’s a 210g tank. I pulled and cleaned the ORP probe also this morning and did a restart on the apex with no change.

IMG_2516.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fluid to calibrate the ORP probe is ridonkuously expensive, so I'd probably nix that idea. ORP is still measurable without ozone.

I can't say if it's due to the anemone death.

I don't know how old your Apex is but it's possible there's an issue with the probe or it needs to be replaced. You may want to reach out to Neptune in the interim (they may have some ideas).

OP
OP
witchywoman725

witchywoman725

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fluid to calibrate the ORP probe is ridonkuously expensive, so I'd probably nix that idea. ORP is still measurable without ozone.

I can't say if it's due to the anemone death.

I don't know how old your Apex is but it's possible there's an issue with the probe or it needs to be replaced. You may want to reach out to Neptune in the interim (they may have some ideas).
Thank you!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 78 79.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back