Question About Anemone Stings

tjnewberry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently set up a SW tank, currently stocked with a couple of Clowns and some inverts.

I'm planning to get a BTA to host the clowns, but am a little anxious about the sting. I'm deadly allergic to wasp stings and only have about 4 minutes to inject an epi or get help.

Does anyone have info about this? Are the proteins similar? Anyone else with a bee/wasp allergy have first hand experience? Are there any other stings/bites I should be concerned with (bristle worm, etc)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smart to think ahead, but honestly this should be a non issue. You should avoid making skin contact with the nem regardless of your potential allergic reaction. I always advise wearing a latex/vinyl glove when handling them. I've gone bare handed in the past with no issues, but better safe than sorry.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you shouldn't be worried for the BTA sting.
I don't even think there are some hobbyist here that have experience on a incidents like that.
Now carpets are different.
But if you feel worried wear some rubber gloves.
Btw, I think you should be more worried about some of the toxins other innocent looking corals like the zoa's.
Maybe the experienced R2R team has some input.

#reefsquad

Oceanwave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I handle mine bare skin - I've never been stung. Furthermore from what I understand they can't sting humans our skin is too thick - but of course I would love someone to confirm this

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely play it on the safe side since you're so highly allergic to wasp stings. Avoid exposure and wear gloves or avoid anemones. Most anemones I have handled feel like removing duck tape, they are sticky, some more than others.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Great advice above, I have seen the employees at the LFS use long latex gloves to handle the corals and anemones due to allergies to the stings.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides wearing gloves doesn't only protect the hobbyist but you protect the coral/invert as well.
We all know about the human oils that come from our skin, it can have IMO a impact on the stress of the coral.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some people can be extremely sensitive to the stings of anemones.I don't believe it is live threatening.However a severe allergic reaction of the skin can result.I would recommend that you do not house a lionfish or tarantula spider.From what I have heard pencil urchins can emit painful stings as well.Bristle worms should not be a concern.You want to avoid handling them because they will release irritating spikes similar to that a fuzzy cactus.

http://uniquecorals.com/entacmaea-quadricolor-green-bubble-anemone-approx-4-stock-specimen.html

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did I win...........

giphy.gif

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I recently set up a SW tank, currently stocked with a couple of Clowns and some inverts.

I'm planning to get a BTA to host the clowns, but am a little anxious about the sting. I'm deadly allergic to wasp stings and only have about 4 minutes to inject an epi or get help.

Does anyone have info about this? Are the proteins similar? Anyone else with a bee/wasp allergy have first hand experience? Are there any other stings/bites I should be concerned with (bristle worm, etc)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Both the owner of the store that I work and I are both allergic to bee stings. Bubble Tips don't bother either one of us and handing them frequently. I do however have a skin reaction to frog spawn stings. Just welts, nothing too major.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things here I want to touch on.

1. If you're someone with severe allergies I would get some of those old school rubber yellow cleaning gloves that go up to your elbows and wear those ANYTIME you handle something related to your tank. ZOAs, and a ton of softies all have chemicals that can be poisonous and or cause reactions in humans. Nems I would be just as cautious about.

2. You mentioned you recently setup a tank and the word anemone in the same post. This is honestly a recipe for disaster and I'm kinda surprised nobody has mentioned it already. Even though most reefers would classify BTAs as the easiest Anemones to keep, I tend to disagree. Yes they are a great starter Nem, but you still have to follow all of the same lighting and acclimation procedures you would with any other Nem AND BTAs are prone to just aimlessly wandering around your tank for an extended period of time until they decide they are happy. In my experience I have found BTAs tend to be a little bit more sensitive to smaller changes (especially in a newer system) then even some of the harder to keep species.

So in summary, get some gloves and don't rush out and get a BTA. Come visit us over in the Nem forum, read the stickies, ask questions, check google then ask more questions to confirm all in the meantime learning your tank and it's parameters. Hope this helps.

Fishnerd7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not normally prone to skin ailments but broke out in the most itching rash ever on my aquarium arm(right arm) one time. Doctor said buy gloves. Also agree with less harm to fish.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back