Question about AWC container

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m thinking about picking up another Dos to dose my tank. I do currently have a 30 gallon Brute in a closet but there is rock in there with saltwater and a pump to keep ready and clean. I do have limited space my question is can I use this as my new saltwater top off with the rock still inside or do I have to remove the rock?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm liking the thought process of getting double duty out of that Brute can. Brilliant! Here's my thoughts....

The purpose of water changes is to replenish trace elements and reduce waste produces, most notably nitrates and phosphates. If the rock is cured (a step most today seem to skip when setting up a tank), than your idea will work. I'd start by doing a 100% water change on the rock/brute can and let it soak for a week and test for nitrates and phosphates. If it shows the rock is cured, good to go. If not, realize you'd be putting N/P water into your tank. Now, if the N/P in the Rock/Brute can is less than the DT, you're still good to go. In the process of water changes, you'd continue to cure that rock while effectively doing water changes in the Rock/Brute container. You'll have the cleanest rock in town! :cool:

OP
OP
Yates273

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock is def. cured been “brewing” for almost a year as “just in case I upgrade”There are no nitrates ammonia or phosphates. So it sounds like all I need to do is drain current water and set up with new saltwater am I’m good to go. Maybe just to be safe I will let sit for a week and test water just in case but I think I’ll be good. Now I just need a Dos.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If fully cured, first test the current water and see what you have.

Back