Question about BRS 2 Part Magnesium

bluecheese

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2020
Messages
664
Reaction score
401
Location
New Orleans, Louisiana
What state or country do you live in
Louisiana
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had purchased the BRS 2-part system a couple of years ago. I never finished the jugs as I switched to All For Reef which was easier for me to dose.

I’ve been kind of lackadaisical about testing all my parameters - only testing Alk, pH, calcium, phosphate and nitrate. I tested my magnesium today, and it was at 1180.

So I need to dose magnesium.

My question is, can I use the gallon jug of magnesium that came with the BRS 2-part kit to raise my magnesium levels? I mixed it, but it has sat unused for a while.
 
I had purchased the BRS 2-part system a couple of years ago. I never finished the jugs as I switched to All For Reef which was easier for me to dose.

I’ve been kind of lackadaisical about testing all my parameters - only testing Alk, pH, calcium, phosphate and nitrate. I tested my magnesium today, and it was at 1180.

So I need to dose magnesium.

My question is, can I use the gallon jug of magnesium that came with the BRS 2-part kit to raise my magnesium levels? I mixed it, but it has sat unused for a while.

Well, it’s not a perfect solution as it contains excessive sulfate for that purpose.

I am also concerned about accuracy and would check your new salt water with the same kit.
 
Well, it’s not a perfect solution as it contains excessive sulfate for that purpose.

I am also concerned about accuracy and would check your new salt water with the same kit.
Ok. I’ll test a fresh batch tomorrow and see what shakes out.

I’m using a Hanna checker.

So if I do need to dose magnesium, the BRS isn’t the best idea from what you’re saying. I’ll have to run by my LFS and see what they have.
 
Just tested a fresh batch of water. It came out as 1195. I'm using IO Reef Crystals. When I say "fresh batch" I keep 35 gallons of water in a Brute container premixed for my weekly water change. The current batch was mixed earlier this week. That is the water I tested.

I also tested the tank water, and the result was 1180.

Thoughts?
 
What salinity are you mixing it to? Reef crystals are supposed to mix at a higher magnesium then that. Closer to 1350 at 1.026 specific gravity from what I'm seeing.
 
How long have you been using the same salt bucket? And did you mix up the dry salt before first use so there's no possibility of the different elements stratifying?
 
How long have you been using the same salt bucket? And did you mix up the dry salt before first use so there's no possibility of the different elements stratifying?
My most recent order of Reef Crystals was the large one where the salt comes in bags. I emptied two of the bags into a Reef Crystals bucket from a previous order. I assume things got fairly mixed up when pouring out the bags. This was probably 3 weeks ago or so.
 
Thanks for the thread

Any idea if All For Reef adds magnesium in the 10% vs calcium range you mentioned?

It adds mag at 4.4% of calcium, so may be a bit deficient when coralline growth is strong.
 
It adds mag at 4.4% of calcium, so may be a bit deficient when coralline growth is strong.
So… how do you think I should handle it. I read your link and my take away was either ignore the test kit results, or add some mag when calcium is added. Right?
 
So… how do you think I should handle it. I read your link and my take away was either ignore the test kit results, or add some mag when calcium is added. Right?

Yes, or just add some extra mag to water changes. That’s what I did when using kalk only ant it worked fine.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new