Question about cabinet?

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi frends,

I want to try to make a piece of cabinet for a project, however I want it to be as practical as possible when it comes to building it and this generates some questions for security / necessity / obligatory.

I have been looking at the Red Sea cabinet and even though the larger tanks do not use a base structure for their cabinet.

As I mentioned, I would like to make it as practical as possible but without losing confidence that one day the tank will end up on the ground in pieces.

If the furniture is made of 1/2 "melamine without using a base structure, will it be sufficient for a tank of 59" x 23.5 "x 19.5" (length x width x height)?

Or do I necessarily need to make the base structure for the cabinet?

Regards

Ryan115

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi frends,

I want to try to make a piece of cabinet for a project, however I want it to be as practical as possible when it comes to building it and this generates some questions for security / necessity / obligatory.

I have been looking at the Red Sea cabinet and even though the larger tanks do not use a base structure for their cabinet.

As I mentioned, I would like to make it as practical as possible but without losing confidence that one day the tank will end up on the ground in pieces.

If the furniture is made of 1/2 "melamine without using a base structure, will it be sufficient for a tank of 59" x 23.5 "x 19.5" (length x width x height)?

Or do I necessarily need to make the base structure for the cabinet?

Regards
That tank is approaching 120 gallons. Personally I would not trust melamine for something that size. At some point the stand will likely get wet, and the particle board that the melamine is attached to will just get worse structurally. If designed properly, plywood would be more than adequate, but particle board is not ideal to handle the lateral forces for an aquarium stand.

OP
OP
Roberto CRC

Roberto CRC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tank is approaching 120 gallons. Personally I would not trust melamine for something that size. At some point the stand will likely get wet, and the particle board that the melamine is attached to will just get worse structurally. If designed properly, plywood would be more than adequate, but particle board is not ideal to handle the lateral forces for an aquarium stand.

Ok thanks for the information.

I do not really know what the plywood is. My current cabinet is in plywood painted with sealants and varnish, however, now this has been a real problem since termites have attacked the cabinet. I have no problem that the tank falls on the floor because it has metal structure, but I have no way to take off the plywood and cover again because the cabinet is very close to the wall on one side.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't use melamine.....if it gets wet, it falls apart.

Plywood is a good choice. That a look at commercial stands to give you ideas.....most have 3/4 plywood for the supporting structure.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" hardwood ply is structurally very strong. Far stronger than most of the softwood dimensional lumber that people tend to build stands out of, and then 'skin' them with plywood.

The plywood stand I built for my old cube was strong enough to double as a stool for an elephant. No frame... didn't need one. I no longer own the tank, but it's still sitting on that stand...
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/greybeards-cube.292760/

On my latest build, I went with powder coated steel. I may never do another wooden stand... at least not on a larger tank. The steel is stronger, allows for a more open structure, will last basically forever, and wasn't any more expensive than building a nice wooden stand.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back