OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this ceiling drywalled? Or open joists? If it's a drywalled ceiling in the basement you're probably looking at about 10-14" to get through the drywall and up to floor surface on the next level depending on how tall the floor joists are...

Open joists.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open joists.

And the height measurement was to the subfloor?

I do think you're probably better off to purchase two separate pumps for this. While you can do one pump it will have to be grossly oversized and it creates one point of failure for both your systems. JMO

And to answer your original question, You would calculate the flow needed at the outlet of your 75 and the associated height. Then calculate the flow you want for your larger tank at it's head height then add those together. You also need to consider frictional head loss, moreso on your return line for the 75 but it will be a big factor especially if you're using a smaller return line...

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sp6 is not as powerful as a Laguna Max Flo. I used to have a basement sump and had to use a Laguna when Fluval was not giving me as much as I wanted. They use the same block, but the sizes and applications are different.

DaScubaSteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using a panworld 150ps plumbed from the basment up to the room above... its about 11 feet from pump to tank outlets. I get about 600 gph and the pump is rated for 1100 gph. I built a stand that is 4 feet high to put my sump on and external panworld 150 ps.

It allows for brute cans under the stand which have been very useful

20200521_221640.jpg

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open joists.
i was looking at a similar issue for my build. i went with a variable AC pump. i am using the 3rd of 6 settings to return from my basement to the 75 on my main floor. it was strictly vertical to one 90 through the back of the tank. i calculated 9 feet i have a spray bar inside the tank which added 2 90's. Here is the thing. I am very new to the hobby and my experience is growing so i cannot recommend the pump. It might crap out any day, lol. But, so far, the Hydor Seltz D 2400 has been quiet and dependable. It arrived damaged from Marine Depot but they replaced it with no problems. i have the control upstairs in the stand so i can turn it to feed mode tank side.
Are you going to have enough sump water to run both pumps while leaving enough room in the sump for them to be off? good luck!!
IMG_1059 3.jpeg

IMG_1030.jpeg IMG_1031.jpeg

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the height measurement was to the subfloor?

I do think you're probably better off to purchase two separate pumps for this. While you can do one pump it will have to be grossly oversized and it creates one point of failure for both your systems. JMO

And to answer your original question, You would calculate the flow needed at the outlet of your 75 and the associated height. Then calculate the flow you want for your larger tank at it's head height then add those together. You also need to consider frictional head loss, moreso on your return line for the 75 but it will be a big factor especially if you're using a smaller return line...

Yes to the subfloor. We only have to go through subfloor and hardwood....ouch.

Thank you for the explanation. The more I thought about it the more I thought it all needed to be added up....then I started to do it....then I decided a separate pump was much less complicated :rolleyes: The single point of failure is an excellent point, though. I'd also like to be able to run separate feed modes.

OP
OP
CindyKz

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to have enough sump water to run both pumps while leaving enough room in the sump for them to be off? good luck!!

Great thought...it's a 100gal rubbermaid trough sump so should be no problem. I may have to lower the water level slightly.

Everything is on Apex so I can start my feed modes from anywhere. I typically just turn off my return pumps for it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is just a return pump, then use some 1" OD get it up there... less water in the tube, less friction without any plumbing elbows and stuff.

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things. I think you have good advice on the calc. But there are a few ways to set up the solution and it may be easier to visualize if you break it up into 2 parts based on flow you'll find that you need to make some guesses on flow and then run the calculator a couple of times until your guesses match your solution
It seems likely to me that if you compare the pump purchase and monthly power costs, you'll find that 2 pumps are a better solution, even before you factor in reliability and ease of adjustment.
why do you want to connect them? There are good reasons and there are risks, so that answer may help you with a solution. I have previously wondered if setting up a minimal sump for the remote system with just a return and either a skimmer or ats , and then connecting the systems with a small volume pump you could turn off might be an ideal solution

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back