question about coloration

Saltysteele

Bret
View Badges
Reaction score
in a van, down by the river in South Haven, MI
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've got a question for my z*p bretheren and sister... en?

i've got some texas trash and army greens that are going to town. however, when i first turn my lights on they are much more colorful. the ag's are much more green, and are about the color of olive green, and the texas trash are a baby blue almost.

i understand this is due to the zoanthellae leaving the surface over the course of lights out leaving only the color pigments at the surface, and then coming back to the surface as the day progresses.

how do i get that color to stay even when the lights are on? my tank is pretty much run for lps (not as pristine as sps, that's for sure), and they seem to thrive. i'm running T5's driven by an icecap, so lighting isn't an issue. why the abundance of zoanthellae, and how do i keep the stuff suppressed?

(my green button polyps are the same way - flourescent green, changing to a drab green throughout the day)

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a guess but try keeping them in lower light level. Might need more actinic too then white bulbs if you are looking for that 'pop' in your corals.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back