Question about drip-acclimation

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered 5 Anthias and 3 dragon pipefish from LiveAquaria. Can I drip acclimate all of them in the same bucket or do i need to separate them?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 5 gallon bucket. Do you think they could hurt each other? It does seem like it could be small.
Fwiw i acclaimate in the bags while they float in a large fish keeper inside the tank holding onto the side.
Keeps them seperated.

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be worried as the ammonium in the bag will convert to ammonia as the pH rises and it can quickly become toxic.
Wouldnt be any different in another vessel as to drip acclamate, you still are using the same water from those bags.

Usually this would be more of an issue when recieving fish from a shipping source. Bringing home some fish from the LFS, spending a couple hours in a bag wont harm them from ammonia exposure as you outlined.

OP
OP
L

lulu1228

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldnt be any different in another vessel as to drip acclamate, you still are using the same water from those bags.

Usually this would be more of an issue when recieving fish from a shipping source. Bringing home some fish from the LFS, spending a couple hours in a bag wont harm them from ammonia exposure as you outlined.
Is there anything different I should I do different from LiveAquaria? Is the ammonia a risk? How do I avoid it?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I would put those 8 fish in a 5 gallon bucket, they might get so stressed that disease can break out.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything different I should I do different from LiveAquaria? Is the ammonia a risk? How do I avoid it?
I would follow LA's acclamation procedure.
A company that big likely uses one or multiple techniques to reduce the chances of ammonia exposure.
Ammonia binder, fish fasting before shipping.....

More than likely ts not going to be an issue.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that I would use a drip method. I think the water mixing method described in the LA "float" procedure is a better idea.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I ordered 5 Anthias and 3 dragon pipefish from LiveAquaria. Can I drip acclimate all of them in the same bucket or do i need to separate them?
I place mine in bucket together then start addition of water. There are many methods of acclimation. Im not a fan of drip method but works. My acclimation:
I generally:
Float for 20-30 minutes
Transfer fish and water into a clean bucket
Then . . . .
Measure the Ph, salinity and temperature of the bag water. If you can, make up some water in a container that has exactly the same measurements as the bag readings and move the fish right over, then you can add a cup of tank water to bucket every 15 mins 6 times (almost 1.5 hours)
Then check salinity in bucket and compare to tank. If no match or very close, add a cup of water every few mins until youve reached salinity and trap fish in same cup and pour off water and release into display. Release under LOW light before lights out. Fish in shipped bags produce carbon dioxide and ammonia. The carbon dioxide lowers the pH of the water in the bag, That in turn makes the ammonia non-toxic to the fish. When you acclimate them, if not done just right, you drive off the carbon dioxide faster than you are diluting the ammonia. That raises the pH of the water and in turn, makes the residual ammonia toxic to the fish.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a downside to either one? I've never drip acclimated before
Drip takes longer. Usually recommended for sensitive stuff but i always use the standard bag float method with all my stuff with the exception of coral i use that method but modified slightly to incorperate a melafix dip into the procedure.

Works amazing for sps.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is some advantage in doin it faster, drip tends to be slow, and if they are not floated during the drip the bucket may cool down.

The theory against drip goes like this... Ammonia builds up in the bag form fish respiration and waste, the toxicity of this ammonia is suppressed by the low PH/high CO2 (and maybe low temp). Once you open the bag the water starts to oxygenate and the PH goes up and the ammonia get toxic.

Some discussion on the subject here, (shameless plug for my favorite podcast);

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP is getting them from live aquaria

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a downside to either one? I've never drip acclimated before
There is a downside to not following whatever acclimation procedure Live Aquaria advises. If you do something different and the fish die, there is no chance of a refund or replacement.
Follow whatever process they include in the box.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. We've established that already.

Then what was the point of your reply (below) to my original comment?

"Usually this would be more of an issue when recieving fish from a shipping source. Bringing home some fish from the LFS, spending a couple hours in a bag wont harm them from ammonia exposure as you outlined."

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then what was the point of your reply (below) to my original comment?

"Usually this would be more of an issue when recieving fish from a shipping source. Bringing home some fish from the LFS, spending a couple hours in a bag wont harm them from ammonia exposure as you outlined."
It was established after this reply to you but before your reply to me.....

Thanks for your concern though.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 86 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back