Question about equipment and such (75g tank w/ 29g sump)

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got my nuvo fusion 20g setup - just need to start filling it with the stuffs.

I have a 75 with a 29 sump. I'd like to get some input on equipment. A good, better, best kind of inquiry here.

Live rock, sand, going with the jabao wavemaker system, but beyond that I'm sort of at a loss.

The amount of information out there is overwhelming. I've spent the last 4 months studying, searching, researching, learning, watching videos, reading these forums and what not.

So given the info I've provided - what are your suggestions? I'd like to keep the budget in the mid range price wise, but I'd like to also hear opinions on lower and higher cost options.

I plan to run a mixed reef. Hoping for a mated pair of green dragonets, a scooter blenny, some cleaner shrimp, a pair of neon gobies or something similar, maybe an urchin and maybe a starfish.

What would you suggest? Reactors? Dosing systems? Etc?

Opinions on skimmers? Which is a good bang for the buck?

Feel free to offer up any advice you think might benefit me! :)

Thank you kindly in advance.

Kamozreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look if you can get a jns skimmer. I have a co5 on a 1000l tank and it is so much better than my old deltec sc2060

Kamozreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning on keeping any sps a dosing pump would also be highly recommended.

Jabeo rw series wave makers will do the job but make sure you get a spare or two.

Also make sure you have plenty of live pods for the dragonets. They normally require a mature tank so would not add them for some time

Kamozreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of skim it pulls. It produces double if not more then the deltec.

Also run an auto top up system in your new system if you haven't got one already

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning on keeping any sps a dosing pump would also be highly recommended.

Jabeo rw series wave makers will do the job but make sure you get a spare or two.

Also make sure you have plenty of live pods for the dragonets. They normally require a mature tank so would not add them for some time

Any recommendations on a dosing pump?

Any wavemakers in a similar price range that are better suited?

I plan on seeding as much as possible with the copepods and continuing to do so in order to keep the dragonets happy. However; I am going to wait some time to add the dragonets as I'd like a better shot at keeping them alive.

Can I have too many copepods in the tank if nothing is eating them?

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of skim it pulls. It produces double if not more then the deltec.

Also run an auto top up system in your new system if you haven't got one already

Just checked them out - they seem a fair price. I will do some more research on them - thanks!

I'm going to have a 20g auto top off for this tank.

Kamozreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on a dosing pump?

Any wavemakers in a similar price range that are better suited?

I plan on seeding as much as possible with the copepods and continuing to do so in order to keep the dragonets happy. However; I am going to wait some time to add the dragonets as I'd like a better shot at keeping them alive.

Can I have too many copepods in the tank if nothing is eating them?
I only have experience with a kamoer and its never missed a beat.

I have used ecotech and tunze wave makers. My tunze ones lasted 6 years before the power supplies died. Jebao are excellent for the price but have heard not so reliable hence why i said to have a spare.

Yes, too many copepods will cause nutrient issues if they dont have enough food to eat and die. I would add some live ones and let the population establish themselves

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have experience with a kamoer and its never missed a beat.

I have used ecotech and tunze wave makers. My tunze ones lasted 6 years before the power supplies died. Jebao are excellent for the price but have heard not so reliable hence why i said to have a spare.

Yes, too many copepods will cause nutrient issues if they dont have enough food to eat and die. I would add some live ones and let the population establish themselves

I've read a lot about the tunze being pretty solid products all across the board. Maybe the extra investment will be worth it in the long run.

Ok, I'll let them settle themselves and only add more once I've got some things that eat them in the tank.

I'll check out the kamoer and add it to my wish list.

Kamozreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i love the ecotech wavemakers with no cords in the tank. Although they do lack the ability to direct flow like the others which needs to be taken into account

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. Why are skimmers so dang expensive?! Reactors, too?! Seems exceptionally high prices all across the board.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They Ecotechs are pretty slick. But I don't think they are going to make it into my tanks yet. After I've moved I'll look into it when I'm ready to sink thousands into a bigger tank.

johnzena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im building my system on a budget. I picked up a Reef Octopus 150 used for $75. The guy had 4 skimmers and he was downsizing. I turned around and bought a new motor for it as a back up for another $75. So I have a good skimmer with a spare motor and saved $100. If money wasnt an issue I would buy new but in this case I am very happy.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crawling craigslist now - will have my 75 gallon in the house this saturday. Had to rent a truck. I reckon he would have delivered for a fee, but I need to make a dump run anyway.

You all have been most helpful!

johnzena

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an app called "Offer Up", it is a great for sale site. My zip is loaded with aquariums and equipment for sale.

OP
OP
Jim Harrison

Jim Harrison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want a cheap(ish) skimmer try the bubble Magus Hang on back skimmer. It's the perfect size for your tank.

Just checked them out - seemed to get pretty decent reviews and an excellent price point.

There is an app called "Offer Up", it is a great for sale site. My zip is loaded with aquariums and equipment for sale.

Offer Up sucks for my area. Not so much available.

the_reef_keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only complaint about the bubble magus HOB skimmer was that my directions were in Taiwanese so I could only understand a few phrases here and there.
However, it's really straight forward and if you have any more questions feel free to PM me and I will be happy to answer!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back