Question about growing copepods

cst0215

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 17, 2026
Messages
55
Reaction score
26
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to culture copepods with very limited success. They do not seem to be multiplying. Tonight I looked at the jar while shining a flashlight and see quite a few very small (less than a millimeter) starfish looking organisms. Please see attached photo. Should I clean and restart?



IMG_3297.jpeg
 
Well, you managed to grow hydroid medusas 😅 to me that's cooler than growing pods, but you don't really want to culture them for a reef tank 😅

I have not seen it first hand but some claim they eat copepods. Maybe that's the issue. I personally would let them grow just to see what kind of organism they grow into but that's just my curiosity for these small organisms.

In a pod culture they certainly don't belong. I'm not sure if siphoning them out is enough or if you want to start from scratch.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new