Question about growing copepods

cst0215

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 17, 2026
Messages
55
Reaction score
28
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to culture copepods with very limited success. They do not seem to be multiplying. Tonight I looked at the jar while shining a flashlight and see quite a few very small (less than a millimeter) starfish looking organisms. Please see attached photo. Should I clean and restart?



IMG_3297.jpeg
 
Well, you managed to grow hydroid medusas 😅 to me that's cooler than growing pods, but you don't really want to culture them for a reef tank 😅

I have not seen it first hand but some claim they eat copepods. Maybe that's the issue. I personally would let them grow just to see what kind of organism they grow into but that's just my curiosity for these small organisms.

In a pod culture they certainly don't belong. I'm not sure if siphoning them out is enough or if you want to start from scratch.
 
First thing I see is hydroids so your culture is contaminated. Use brand new salt water, nothing comes from your tank, it should be a sterile environment, and we are always careful to never cross contaminate. If you haven't already, I would suggest to watch a few diy copepod culture videos on youtube. Or take a full picture of your set up so we can see an offer suggestions. Good luck
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 33.3%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new